Bate Bay

Yowie

Headed out early Friday arvo with my fishing mate. Tried trolling along the Kurnell area hoping for a bonnie or king, but nothing doing.

Moved a little bit south and tried bait on the bottom. First drop must have been a reef patch. I pulled up a mowie about 40cm, mate did not want it either, so back it went. Also a few reef rubbish fish, until we drifted onto sand. Plenty of spikies then the biggest blue spot right on 50cm but nothing else. Moved a couple of times for the others, couple of just unders as well as a small tiger.

The wind dropped off to nothing before sundown, glassy surface, then a pair humpbacks started a few jumping moves near the boat before moving to the mouth of the Hacking. Another pair turned up, and these 2 jumped for 10 minutes or more in the same area. Non stop action, plus a couple of dolphins spotted, a seal and the continuous sqwarking of penguins. People pay good money to see this -  just go fishing and it is all there to see. Hardly any boats out there at all.

On darkness we drifted around the edge of a reef , and my mate pulled out the tassel snouted flattie on a jigged plastic squid. A first for him, never caught one myself, and we have fished out there for 50 years.

fish.jpeg.414_files_files_files.jpg

• Like 10

Never eaten those”funny looking” Flathead, caught two over the years, always tossed them back. I don’t mind eating Mowies, especially the medium size ones, the big ones taste a bit strong/chemical like or something. 

2 hours ago, Isaac Ct said:

Cool to see that species of flathead, never knew it existed. Always a bit of a lucky dip when you fish in deep water.

There are more species of flatties than most people realise. That one is sometimes called a Rock Flathead. Distinctive colouring.

Edited by Yowie
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, noelm said:

Never eaten those”funny looking” Flathead, caught two over the years, always tossed them back. I don’t mind eating Mowies, especially the medium size ones, the big ones taste a bit strong/chemical like or something. 

As good to eat as the normal flattie species so I am told.

As for mowies, no, never eat one again. Would rather eat a packet of ratsack while watching the grass grow and paint drying on the wall. :074:

Edited by Yowie
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, Yowie said:

As good to eat as the normal flattie species so I am told.

As for mowies, no, never eat one again. Would rather eat a packet of ratsack while watching the grass grow and paint drying on the wall. :074:

No idea why I tossed them back, they just looked “different” so back they went! Mowies are a bit of a hit or miss, lots eat them, but for me (as I said) it’s just medium ones.

2 hours ago, jenno64 said:

Nice work Dave, flatties saved the day! At least you saw the whales breach at distance, not so lucky for the Boston’s off Cape Banks today🙏🏻

Couple of feeds, so happy with that lot.

You don't realise how big they are until one pops up near the boat. Unlucky to cop a bit hit from one.

Nice catch mate! 👍

best part of fishing is catching something you’ve never caught before, Or something you weren’t expecting. 

Did either of you notice the coral spawning yesterday? Apparently it was happening all evening to the north. Through polarised glasses the water looks all patchy and red & sounders are filled with interference.

3 hours ago, Larkin said:

Nice catch mate! 👍

best part of fishing is catching something you’ve never caught before, Or something you weren’t expecting. 

Did either of you notice the coral spawning yesterday? Apparently it was happening all evening to the north. Through polarised glasses the water looks all patchy and red & sounders are filled with interference.

did not notice it, though earlier in the week during the early morning darkness, the luminescence was in the Hacking from Gunnamatta up past Lilli Pilli.

This morning there was a Council warning to not swim in Yowie Bay and around Lilli Pilli due to red algae blooms.

Mate cooked up his tasselled flattie fillets, pan fried. 

Firmer flesh, not as flakey as the average flattie. Tried it against a blue spot fillet, and said the tassel fillet was much tastier.

He is now looking to catch another one, though it took 50 years of outside fishing to catch just one, so I guess we won't be seeing another one in the near future. 🤣

• Haha 2