Test run

Bryant fish

Took the boat out today after rebuilt powerhead head fitted it run fine but only took to about half revs i know its not new but mechanic said take it easy just in case. Well not a good days fishing at pittwater got about 7 squid but all small used a few as live baits but nothing caught suspect tailor kept 4 for bait busyat ramp but all smooth a couple of of 23 ft boats being launched including a 23 sailfish that is a huge trailer boat lots of envy here yeah so not a great day’s fishing but was more about testing the motor funny how we complain about the cost of boats im still hassling the mechanic to give me a bill I’ve had other times when he has helped me out and only charged a carton of beer

• Like 4

Very sad indeed 😔

Condolences to his family and i also feel for the police officers that have the dreadful job of notifying his family .

I have seen a few videos of late where whales have surfaced right next to a small boat - and i mean a few metres, maybe they are protecting the calves ? 
Anyhow you have your rebuilt donk rockin and the fish are waiting for you ! My mate is going out for some flatties tomorrow , he has a couple of spots east of the boultons so i will see how he goes ! 

That is very sad about the boat capsizing causing a loss of life.
Up NW where do go, I have had Humpbacks swim aggressively towards the boat. Now my take on this is not the female with the calf but a young male who wants the female to himself and we pose a threat.

I’ve never had a whale approach aggressively but have them within a few mtrs of the boat and while they are beautiful to see obviously there’s a danger sad to hear what happened . Yes was happy with boat today and waiting to give it a proper run ( and hopefully some fish)

The truth of the matter is whales get barnacles all over them and at times they irritate the whale. They see a boat as a scratching post and rub their back on the hull of a boat to dislodge the offending barnacles.

I was fishing off Wollongong back in the late 60's earlt 70's in my Pongrass 15 foot half cab and several smallish whales were swimming close by. One of them came a bit too close and rubbed up against the boat. It was approx the same size as the boat and pushed it about 8 feet sideways, luckily it didn't tip and the whale slowly swam away looking back at the boat as it went to join the others.

I have had a few close encounters with whales and this was the closest I have come to being a victim.

I have old video tape of whales playing around my boat for several minutes but can't upload it here.

Frank

• Like 3