Grinding experience levels at narrabeen lake

faker

So Original plan was to mess around the back of Narrabeen lake and fish near deep creek entrance with some friends. Unfortunately when i got there there was at least 10 metres of algal bloom from the shore. I am not wading into that much gunk

So i hit the sandflats in front of lake which was being dredged(unfortunately) spent half a hour for service whiting but lots of people there looking for flathead. but no one landing any and i switched to using grub. Caught undersized 2 flounders and decided to move spots to woolworths bridge. friend landed one writing undersized there.

I tried everything from jerkbaits, paddle tails, metal vibes, creature baits, soft vibes, surface around other parts of lake but not much to show for it

Also lost my ecogear knockoff on 7grams on cast. Not sure if 8lb leader is too light on it or was it because braid got caught on guides during cast which led to line snapping at leader. Can anyone provide some feed back? this was on my 1-3kg rod

Edited by faker
  • Like 3

• faker changed the title to Grinding experience levels at narrabeen lake
2 hours ago, Bennyg78 said:

@faker

• So did your leader snap at the braid to leader knot or down at the lure

From what you have wrote above it looks like you may need to practice your knots? What knot do you use to tie braid to leader and to the lure?

Double uni. I believe line got caught in guides

• 2 weeks later...

I had a similar grinding experience a couple of weeks back up the mid to back of the lake trying for flathead. I suspect they have temporarily reduced the flow/closed the lake while they clear the entrance, if I’m right things should improve when they finish, which is due in December.

cheers,

Gus

Definitely learn to tie the FG knot ! I use the little knot tool that is available - not cheap but i have no choice as dexterity in my hands ain’t what it used to be! A lot of rods use tiny runners or guides and the double uni gets hung up and your leader usually snaps . I always did better at night in narrabeen so maybe look at low light times like dawn and dusk .