Bait caught or bought?

blaxland

If you use pillies from a tackle store or petrol station freezer and then try the still frozen food grade ones from a fish market you will see a difference.  Bait that you have caught and processed yourself will be far better than what you buy . Fresh is best but nothing will ever beat live . 

• Like 2

Live is best with fresh next. 

Self caught and frozen bait beats shop bought as you don't know how it was handled and how quickly it was frozen and whether it ever defrosted.  Some baits freeze better than others with some soft baits better if salted and dried a little before freezing. 

Golden rules are get on ice when caught if not kept alive.  Don't  wash or contact with fresh water.  Remove as much air as possible or best of all cryovac pack.  Better to have small packs with just enough for one trip.  Freeze asap. Ron 

• Like 3

Salted pillies are a bit tougher (though not by much), however, I only use the salted pillies, not the big frozen blocks which are usually non salted and rather soft on thawing.

Fresh bait is better, though I have caught many fish on salted fillets - small tuna, tailor, yakkas, trevally, mullet, mackerel. Oily fish fillets are better. I prepare my own - fillet, add salt for a day or 2 (more for thicker tuna fillets) then freeze in plastic bags into single fillet lots.

Fillets of fresh caught fish (in the above sentence) are gun baits. 

Live baits are good, however, they can swim all over the place at times and I don't use them much at all in Port Hacking. Strip baits catch me fish in the deep water.

Edited by Yowie
  • Like 3