Cheburashka rig

faker

27 minutes ago, Little_Flatty said:

I’ve tried it, the idea looks good, but I’ve had a few mystery lure losses with no pressure whatsoever, just flick flick and suddenly the hook/lure was gone. So I gave up on it. Also the wire rusts really easy.

Which ones did you use? You mean you lost whole rig including sinker? or just the hook and lure?

Edited by faker

12 hours ago, Little_Flatty said:

I’ve tried it, the idea looks good, but I’ve had a few mystery lure losses with no pressure whatsoever, just flick flick and suddenly the hook/lure was gone. So I gave up on it. Also the wire rusts really easy.

Could be the sinker moving up and down as you twitched, which picked away at your knot, was a pretty common occurence when I fished with bait and used a blood knot to connect my running sinker rigs, one slight mix is to add a small bead over the knot

11 hours ago, faker said:

Thanks @Little_Flatty Any sign the wire opened up?

No signs at all.

11 minutes ago, AlbertW said:

Could be the sinker moving up and down as you twitched, which picked away at your knot, was a pretty common occurence when I fished with bait and used a blood knot to connect my running sinker rigs, one slight mix is to add a small bead over the knot

Nah the sinker and wire was there, just not the hook and lure! I suspect you’re partly right though, the sinker could be sliding up the line, then the hook falls off the clip and then sinker slides back over the clip, leaving me wondering how the lure Houdini’ed off the rig altogether.

I guess you could put a stopper or a snap above the clip, but that kills off the simplicity of the rig.

Edited by Little_Flatty
  • Like 1

• 4 months later...
On 10/23/2023 at 7:50 AM, Little_Flatty said:

No signs at all.

Nah the sinker and wire was there, just not the hook and lure! I suspect you’re partly right though, the sinker could be sliding up the line, then the hook falls off the clip and then sinker slides back over the clip, leaving me wondering how the lure Houdini’ed off the rig altogether.

I guess you could put a stopper or a snap above the clip, but that kills off the simplicity of the rig.

Well i caught my first fish on a cheb rig today and i think i know how you lose lure. how many pounds leader were you using?

9 hours ago, faker said:

Well i caught my first fish on a cheb rig today and i think i know how you lose lure. how many pounds leader were you using?

Don't remember, but probably somewhere around 8lb. Interested to hear your theory.

5 hours ago, Little_Flatty said:

Don't remember, but probably somewhere around 8lb. Interested to hear your theory.

Depending on how clip is constructed. The offset hook can in rare circumstances can get loose if something pulls end too hard. Normally the knot stops it coming all the way through