Melbourne EP

AlbertW

Hey All,

Bit of a late post due to the past couple of days being busy. I headed to Melbourne with the family on Thursday to visit my uncle and decided to pack an ice fishing rod and my nasci. Plan was to hit up the docks lands for some vertical bream but my mate who had visited recently told me to visit Albert’s Park lake instead. So the plane changed and on Friday I had picked up one of the new shimano revolution travel rods and respooled my nasci with 400m of 4lb braid. My uncle wanted to start fishing so I had paired him with the same outfit. I chose some shallow suspending divers as it would be an easy gateway into lure fishing. In the afternoon, I managed to get away with my uncle and by some luck i had chosen a random spot that had heaps of weedbeds. I showed my uncle how to tie a double uni knot and got him tied up onto a suspending diver. Headed to the water and teaching him how to cast and retrieve the diver, I finally started to fish. He started having troubles with the casting again so I demonstrated again and as i demonstrated how to work the diver back something smashes it and pulls me into the weed. I asked my uncle if he would like to land the fish but he insisted on me doing it so up comes my first ever estuary perch measuring at 30cm. At first I thought it was a bass due to their striking resemblance but had a look online shortly after. Swam the EP back and that was that for the trip. Back to Sydney on Sunday and was too tired to write up the report so here I am now.

IMG_4264.thumb.jpeg.a650f2ad459fd9a61dc12d7db359d5f7.jpeg

Thanks for reading,

Albert

• Like 8

3 hours ago, Little_Flatty said:

Nice fish Albert!

I have heard about Albert park lake, sounds like a cool fishery. I might bring a rod next time I go down, have never done so before.

Yeah theres plagues of EP's and some golden perch as well, wish I had time to target those! They also stock rainbow trout in the colder months and they even stocked 10,000 murray cod fingerlings in 2021 but I don't think theres a high probability that they survived.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Green Hornet said:

Albert’s Park…..I see what you did there.

Nice fish and well done on a new species.

41 minutes ago, zmk1962 said:

Yup… Albert fished Albert Park for an APEP !  🤣

It was calling to me haha 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Pickles said:

A great report Albert. weed beds are a great spo to target Bass and E.P.’s.

Nice work on the freshwater Albert - what lure were you using? (Next time it would be great if you could include the lure in the pic).

Yeah sorry about that, I usually do but the ep was bleeding a bit so I just dehooked him first. The lure was a yozuri diver, I think the crystal minnow 

• Like 2