Fishing the full moon period...

big Neil

I hope that some of the very experienced anglers who frequent these pages will chip in here. I see from the "Fishing Chat" topic heading that we have two sub-sections (Freshwater and Saltwater). My question applies to both and I hope that answers may come from proponents of both areas.

I have never been an angler who keeps detailed records of experiences, so my question stems from the annals of what I believe to be the case, at least in my experience.

"Does the FULL MOON PERIOD impact the success/ results, differently from the remainder of the moon cycle?" My experiences are based (mainly) on Freshwater fishing when I say "it definitely does". My belief is that there is a negative impact on Fresh and Saltwater fishing over the period of the full moon. Is it real or a perception, does my negative belief impact the results when I fish these periods? 

Join the discussion, I'm open to the informed opinions of my peers.

Thanks, bn

• Like 1

For many years, the few days of the full moon were always Teraglin times, we would launch late afternoon, get all anchored up on our “secret” spot, with about ten other boats…….just on dark, Tailor would feed in a near frenzy, they would buzz off, and (sometimes) the Trag and the odd Jewfish would come on. We used to get the odd Snapper, but during the full moon they tended to be in close to the shore I have found. One thing during the moon though, the “Phosphorus” in the water (that bio luminescence that glows when disturbed) can be very bright, now and then while anchored you would see big “things” swimming around, lighting up the water, pretty scary at times I can tell you.

Edited by noelm
Typo
  • Like 4

Neil. This of course is just my opinion, Over a period of about 60 odd years give or take a few I have found the Full moon period 2 days prior and 1 day after to be quiet dead for table type fish in salt water, don't know about fresh as I don't fish it as much.

However there has been times when that was the only period I could get on the water and with putting in the hard yards have had some great catches, don't know exactly how this comes about but I would say it has been consistence.

Like use the same lure all day long and catch heaps you think that was the lure of the day but you didn't try another lure so how do you know another one wouldn't have been just as successful

In general there are other moon phases I prefer to wet a line.

My preference is 1st quarter and 3rd quarter as there is less movement in the water and fish don't have to work as hard to get a feed.

Frank

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I have heard a saying that when the moon is up during the day the fishing will be bad during the day , I never payed much attention to it . Thinking about it makes me wonder if this has something to do with the prawns running during the dark of the moon ? Maybe the fish are gorging themselves on the prawns at night and digesting during the day ?

• Like 3

I read about the theory of fishing being poor while both the moon and the sun are in the sky a couple of years ago and put it to the test. After recording such times in my diary and going back two years, I found no conclusive proof when it came to any of the species I chase (beach and estuary).

The full moon period won't stop me fishing, but it will often determine how and where I fish. For bream at night, I get better results fishing deeper water and for blackfish, changing baits from weed to squirt worms and moving from rocky ledges to the flats and weed beds does the trick.

Quite often you hear people say jewfish bite better on the full moon. My diary also shows this to be false and although I've caught fish around the full moon, the vast majority of my good jew come from the darker cycles. I think the full moon theory stems from the fact that people use a torch less around a full moon and jewfish, more than any other fish I know, react negatively to any unfamiliar light shining on the water.

When it comes to throwing lures to fish like salmon and tailor off the beach, during the dark moon phase the hot bite is always at the crack of dawn and during the full moon, an hour or two after sunrise. I think during the dark, the fish are unable to feed on the baitfish all night and are ravenous first thing in the morning.

All that being said, there is something quite spiritual about sitting alone on a beach, soaking a big bait while watching the moon rise and the phospherescence flashing in the shorebreak.

• Like 5

Don’t hold much faith in the moon out in the day business, some of my best Kingfish catches have come at exactly that time. It was always our “thing” the moon over the church at Shellharbour during the morning was always a sign the big Kings would be around! Luck? Superstition? Blind faith? Who knows?

• Like 2

Many thanks for the replies from you experienced anglers. I am sort of starting to believe that my negativity towards this period is probably more responsible. Certainly, attitude has lots to do with fishing success. The confident angler will usually outfish the pessimistic one. After all one of the biggest benefits to successful angling is experience. Anglers who are negative about learning the ropes will always fail when compared to the ones who have a positive approach.

bn

• Like 1

Well one thing I do know is if you ain’t got a bait or lure in the water you ain’t gunna catch anything regardless of the moon , tide cycle or barometer reading ! I often ask my mate if he is going out on the weekend and usually get a reply of too windy , too cold , swell too big or wrong tides - my reply is if you sit there waiting for the perfect conditions you will die of old age before you ever go fishing again ! 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, noelm said:

One thing during the moon though, the “Phosphorus” in the water (that bio luminescence that glows when disturbed) can be very bright, now and then while anchored you would see big “things” swimming around, lighting up the water, pretty scary at times I can tell you.

I have seen big things swimming close to the boat at night, lighting up in the phosphorenscence, and all fish suddenly disappear.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

25 minutes ago, Yowie said:

I have seen big things swimming close to the boat at night, lighting up in the phosphorenscence, and all fish suddenly disappear.

It is spooky hey? No idea what “they” are, but some seem quite big, lots of big Rays show up and make a brilliant “show”

• Like 1