Flatties in the 'hood

Little_Flatty

Tried a new spot this morning with the fly rod, the recently remodelled shoreline on Bray's Bay at Rhodes. Interesting what they have done with the area, it looks good.

Wasn't expecting much; my past few trips in the upper Parra and Lane Cove rivers have resulted in donuts, even with gulps (which are practically bait). But I needed the casting practice, so on the water I went.

Arrived at about 5.45am and started casting with a tan fuzzle shrimp. The fuzzle shrimp which is fast becoming my favourite fly, I've tied a bunch now and it's practically all I use. I've since learned from some fellow fly fishos that I'm not the only one. I've finally worked out how to work my way along a shoreline with the fly rod. I cast out, strip my line in, then step over my bundle of line and make my next cast. In some ways that works quite well to ensure I keep moving.

As I near the sandstone section, I observe the water seems to be a little shallower than further along the shoreline. Something gives me the feeling it was worth a cast. So I put a cast right near the sandstone steps. A few strips in, I hook what I thought was another stick (had already snared a few in the session). But then the 'stick' starts shaking its head. I'm on!

Play the fish in gradually then ready the net. I had quite a bit of difficulty getting it into the net. Net the fish after a few attempts, put down my outfit, then somehow it houdini-ed out of the net again! There's something about playing a fish by stripping line in, rather than playing it on the reel. Definitely need more practice! Pick up outfit, play it back in, then after a few shots, get it back in the net and up the bank. Lucky me, very unlucky flatty and I was surprised I landed it given all my missteps.

Nothing remarkable, but at the same time not a bad fish either:

image.png.6ccd20f902c18db2aa460faaf948a2c1.png

Did a net release as I was rather high up off the water. I think I'm going to do that more often now, as it's gentler and gives the fish a chance to recover. After that, a few last casts, then it was time to go home. Quiet morning, but good to get a fish after a few donut sessions, and good to get a fish on fly within ten mins of home (but my holy grail of a fish within walking distance still eludes me!).

Edited by Little_Flatty
  • Like 12

Never seen or heard of your favourite fly…….but then, I don’t profess to know much about it at all! Every Flathead I have caught has been on a bread fly, no idea why they take them, when it floats. They are fun on fly aren’t they? very different to a standard lure/bait for some reason, maybe it’s how you “play” the fish or something? I find it amazing where you find fish, even places that are “fished out” can produce with a well presented fly (that leaves me out) My “secret spot” gets dozens of swimmers, surfers, spear fishermen, tourist fishers, picnickers, dogs, the whole lot, but I still get the odd fish there, and it’s easy fishing.

• Like 3

Nice Mike, they’re good scrappers at around that size and especially when fighting them straight off the fly line.

For some reason I like to get my fish onto the reel where I can manage it, though my estuary reel doesn’t have a drag and is not unlike fishing a centerpin, which is still fun.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, noelm said:

Never seen or heard of your favourite fly…….but then, I don’t profess to know much about it at all! Every Flathead I have caught has been on a bread fly, no idea why they take them, when it floats. They are fun on fly aren’t they? very different to a standard lure/bait for some reason, maybe it’s how you “play” the fish or something? I find it amazing where you find fish, even places that are “fished out” can produce with a well presented fly (that leaves me out) My “secret spot” gets dozens of swimmers, surfers, spear fishermen, tourist fishers, picnickers, dogs, the whole lot, but I still get the odd fish there, and it’s easy fishing.

Sure is fun Noel. As I said in the another post, a fly outfit (for bread and butter fish anyway) is but a glorified handline! I think that’s part of what makes it fun.

I have long suspected one of the advantages of fly fishing is that your fly is much lighter than any lure you can present. As a result a fly can suspend more naturally in the water. That could explain your improved results, as compared to other methods. You can also present much smaller offerings, like the ‘eye’ flies that have been mentioned recently. Although that all might as well be codswallop to me; at present my catch rate is still well below my lure fishing levels of success! I think that could change though as my fly presentation skills improve.

Flatties on bread flies, now that’s something. I believe it though, I think most fish like bread (the actual bread itself plus whatever else it attracts that they like to eat). Have you tried any sinking bread flies? You might find a few other species lurking below.

There’s a few shrimp variants that work well in the harbour system, including the fuzzle shrimp and the EP shrimp. Both would be be great for lake Illawarra down your way when the prawns are running.

2 minutes ago, kantong said:

A solid flattie there mate, especially on the fly!

Thanks kantong! It’s good fun and I thoroughly recommend it, even though it’s been very challenging!

34 minutes ago, Green Hornet said:

Nice Mike, they’re good scrappers at around that size and especially when fighting them straight off the fly line.

For some reason I like to get my fish onto the reel where I can manage it, though my estuary reel doesn’t have a drag and is not unlike fishing a centerpin, which is still fun.

Thanks Pete, I suspect fighting off the reel is better for me as well. It’s one thing landing a fish with a net in at water level, but it’s another thing managing your line and whilst extending a telescopic net 2m above the water line!

• Like 3

A good-sized Flattie on a fly rod Mike. You should definitely continue using the fly gear and I'm sure your catch rates will improve over the Summer. Whether you strip line or run the fish onto the reel is subjective, each having claim to their own benefits. The one single thing I like about catching anything on a fly rod is the capability of the rod to respond to every movement the fish makes. They are so flexible, and brilliantly designed for casting flies and retrieving fish. Keep taking the opportunities to fish when you can and posting your results.   bn

• Like 1

5 hours ago, big Neil said:

A good-sized Flattie on a fly rod Mike. You should definitely continue using the fly gear and I'm sure your catch rates will improve over the Summer. Whether you strip line or run the fish onto the reel is subjective, each having claim to their own benefits. The one single thing I like about catching anything on a fly rod is the capability of the rod to respond to every movement the fish makes. They are so flexible, and brilliantly designed for casting flies and retrieving fish. Keep taking the opportunities to fish when you can and posting your results.   bn

Cheers Neil, I totally agree on the fly rod fish handling thing. The handful of luderick I have landed and the one Trev I have caught both were more easily landed than on my usual gear. The long rod handles the surging of the fish and relieves the pressure on light tippet.

2 hours ago, blaxland said:

I am amazed well done

Thanks blaxland. A flatty on fly is nothing new, but at this stage of my fly fishing journey, it’s still special to me😎

On 11/14/2023 at 7:36 AM, Larkin said:

Nice flatty Mike! 
your really getting the hang of saltwater fly fishing. 
Can’t wait for you to hook onto a line puller like a salmon or kingy! 

Cheers Chris, slowly getting there, but still a long way to go. But that's why we do this fishing thing, always something to learn :)

A salmon or kingy will be fun! I hope I get a bit more practice in first...haven't seen the backing on my fly reel yet 🤣

• Like 1

On 11/13/2023 at 8:52 AM, Little_Flatty said:

Tried a new spot this morning with the fly rod, the recently remodelled shoreline on Bray's Bay at Rhodes. Interesting what they have done with the area, it looks good.

Wasn't expecting much; my past few trips in the upper Parra and Lane Cove rivers have resulted in donuts, even with gulps (which are practically bait). But I needed the casting practice, so on the water I went.

Arrived at about 5.45am and started casting with a tan fuzzle shrimp. The fuzzle shrimp which is fast becoming my favourite fly, I've tied a bunch now and it's practically all I use. I've since learned from some fellow fly fishos that I'm not the only one. I've finally worked out how to work my way along a shoreline with the fly rod. I cast out, strip my line in, then step over my bundle of line and make my next cast. In some ways that works quite well to ensure I keep moving.

As I near the sandstone section, I observe the water seems to be a little shallower than further along the shoreline. Something gives me the feeling it was worth a cast. So I put a cast right near the sandstone steps. A few strips in, I hook what I thought was another stick (had already snared a few in the session). But then the 'stick' starts shaking its head. I'm on!

Play the fish in gradually then ready the net. I had quite a bit of difficulty getting it into the net. Net the fish after a few attempts, put down my outfit, then somehow it houdini-ed out of the net again! There's something about playing a fish by stripping line in, rather than playing it on the reel. Definitely need more practice! Pick up outfit, play it back in, then after a few shots, get it back in the net and up the bank. Lucky me, very unlucky flatty and I was surprised I landed it given all my missteps.

Nothing remarkable, but at the same time not a bad fish either:

image.png.6ccd20f902c18db2aa460faaf948a2c1.png

Did a net release as I was rather high up off the water. I think I'm going to do that more often now, as it's gentler and gives the fish a chance to recover. After that, a few last casts, then it was time to go home. Quiet morning, but good to get a fish after a few donut sessions, and good to get a fish on fly within ten mins of home (but my holy grail of a fish within walking distance still eludes me!).

Well done! Every capture on fly is special, particularly when you're in the early stages of you flyfishing journey because it gives you confidence. Congratulations!

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, FishingFables said:

Well done! Every capture on fly is special, particularly when you're in the early stages of you flyfishing journey because it gives you confidence. Congratulations!

Thanks Jason, every fish on fly is very special to me indeed. When I started fly fishing about eighteen months ago, I had to have a big reset in my expectations of success, as there was so many things that needed to come together before I could catch fish. I suspect I still have a way to go before I can reach my lure fishing levels of consistency. Certainly has been a good test of patience! Anyhow I’m addicted now, my lure outfits stay at home more than they come out.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Little_Flatty said:

Thanks Jason, every fish on fly is very special to me indeed. When I started fly fishing about eighteen months ago, I had to have a big reset in my expectations of success, as there was so many things that needed to come together before I could catch fish. I suspect I still have a way to go before I can reach my lure fishing levels of consistency. Certainly has been a good test of patience! Anyhow I’m addicted now, my lure outfits stay at home more than they come out.

Good stuff! Sound like we've followed a similar path - bait fishing to lure fishing to fly fishing. One of the best things I did was join a fly fishing club a couple of years ago (called the Sydney Flyrodders). I've met some experienced flyfishers through the club who have really helped me learn how to cast, read rivers and lakes, and also how to tie flies.

• Like 2