Bream ratios

faker

My bream catch rates are abysmal on lures at this rate, I have hooked more leather jacket and flounders then them. Only species that are bread and butter worst are trevally ( I excluded whiting due to seasonality). 

Bream I always label them the pigeon in the sea

Anyone here who fish bream comps with advice? I have watched Steve Morgan vids but I can't go down to 4lb and extract it safely out of water. Especially from high embankments

Bream are about the fine details,

Personally I use atleast a rod length of 8lb fluro leader 

Bream generally like subtle presentations, 2.5 inch soft plastics presented  on light jigheads, the retrieve needs to be gentler than say flathead, I hop it with 3 small taps or flicks of the rod, watching the line as it sinks for any taps they generally suck it in on the drop

Scent also makes a difference 

The main thing is bream are tough on lures especially from public landbased locations, long cssts are a definite must

• Like 3

I think the problem is, Bream require a completely different technique and location to most other species (in my opinion) you target Bream, and cast right in on structure, and fish surface or mid water or……you target (say) Flathead and you are more or less on the bottom and out in the open, if you get what I mean? Two very different species to put into one basket.

• Like 2

@faker Watching Steve's videos are great but there's a few things to be mindful of:

- hes been fishing bream tournaments for years and hes a gun at it! Trust me I have lost many lures trying to emulate his techniques( hello crankbaits stuck on yachts!)

- and yeah your not on a boat, but there are some areas you can still work very light leader.

A few things for you to think about if you want to really target bream (and you really have to commit to targeting them by applying line lure and plan to catch them):

• As @dirvin21 says long casts are a must especially if you're just looking to cover ground with a lure, for good quality bream you really need to think about how and what you're casting at. what are you casting at and what prey are you trying to mimick. In my really limited comp experience its all about finesse and accuracy. You might have to mix up your presentations to get the best bite; this could be a change in type of plastic or just a different weight jighead to affect fall rates to find what they are eating.
  • try a few different locations
  • usually quieter places and early mornings are good times to try for
  • don't be upset if you donut, I have donutted double day comps! but you learn from your hard days as much as your easy days
  • Like 2

Read Niall's article. Watch the hard to find video link inside the article (this is it 

Cover new ground.

Niall's follow up article: 

I was lucky enough to meet @Niall and he showed me some additional subtle lure movements which I had not thought about. Best session to date since he helped me with this aspect of fishing was 14 bream and one big eye trevally. They were still biting when I left to get some lunch.

Edited by DerekD
  • Like 4

On 11/15/2023 at 10:49 PM, faker said:

My bream catch rates are abysmal on lures at this rate, I have hooked more leather jacket and flounders then them. Only species that are bread and butter worst are trevally ( I excluded whiting due to seasonality). 

Bream I always label them the pigeon in the sea

Anyone here who fish bream comps with advice? I have watched Steve Morgan vids but I can't go down to 4lb and extract it safely out of water. Especially from high embankments

If you are hooking leather jackets its most likely because the lure is sitting there for long periods, they are grazers and slow movers, Also if you are fishing for bream on large dropoffs where you need to lift them, then it tells me you are most likely looking for other fish, not bream specifically. 

There is no need to fish deep water and needing to lift them up high embankments, why? Because your local bays, rivers and saltwater creeks all hold bream, and you can stand at water level. 

Bream arent hard once you know what they like and how to fish for them (definitley not as hard as jew on lures)

Everyone has there methods but here is some that work for me personally:

• When you are land based, on high tide cast sideways at the banks, aim the lure about 2-3 meters out from the bank, they are usually on the edges in the warmer months and especially around high tide. Small double hops with your plastic with maybe 2-3 second pauses, rinse and repeat, when you feel a tap, leave it and wait for the strike. 
  • Fish a 1/16 or lighter in a size #1 or #2, bream tend to like a lighter presentation, you will often feel the hit on the drop as it slowly flutters back to the bottom
  • Stay mobile, if you havent got a hit in about 10 casts move a few meters down the bank, you are lure fishing, so you need to find the fish, not the other way around. 
  • Use scent. It really does work, especially in the darker water where the fishes vision may not be the best
  • When you are confident, start throwing hard up against pylons, logs etc, bream love that stuff

Be prepared to lose lots of lures, much like bass fishing you are looking for a species that loves to hide amongst sketchy stuff, so plastics if definitley the way to go for beginners, id argue more fun than hardbodies too, especially when you time the hooksets perfectly, makes them run hard. Good luck.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, GoldenHourFishing said:

If you are hooking leather jackets its most likely because the lure is sitting there for long periods, they are grazers and slow movers, Also if you are fishing for bream on large dropoffs where you need to lift them, then it tells me you are most likely looking for other fish, not bream specifically. 

There is no need to fish deep water and needing to lift them up high embankments, why? Because your local bays, rivers and saltwater creeks all hold bream, and you can stand at water level. 

Bream arent hard once you know what they like and how to fish for them (definitley not as hard as jew on lures)

Everyone has there methods but here is some that work for me personally:

• When you are land based, on high tide cast sideways at the banks, aim the lure about 2-3 meters out from the bank, they are usually on the edges in the warmer months and especially around high tide. Small double hops with your plastic with maybe 2-3 second pauses, rinse and repeat, when you feel a tap, leave it and wait for the strike. 
  • Fish a 1/16 or lighter in a size #1 or #2, bream tend to like a lighter presentation, you will often feel the hit on the drop as it slowly flutters back to the bottom
  • Stay mobile, if you havent got a hit in about 10 casts move a few meters down the bank, you are lure fishing, so you need to find the fish, not the other way around. 
  • Use scent. It really does work, especially in the darker water where the fishes vision may not be the best
  • When you are confident, start throwing hard up against pylons, logs etc, bream love that stuff

Be prepared to lose lots of lures, much like bass fishing you are looking for a species that loves to hide amongst sketchy stuff, so plastics if definitley the way to go for beginners, id argue more fun than hardbodies too, especially when you time the hooksets perfectly, makes them run hard. Good luck.

i was fishing in the mariner with high walls and seeing those guys hanging around the drain and not taking the lure is rather frustrating. have been fishing with 1/12 size 2 oz most of the time and went to 1/24oz on creature baits. But I will change my technique because i lift it moment i see line slackens

Edited by faker