Fish Stink!!

Larkin

Gday Raiders,

any secret way to get fish stink out of clothing/gloves?

Caused by fish blood and fish slime.

I soak in nappy san, but have to soak it a couple of times to get it out, and sometimes after I dry them the stink comes back. 

Any specific products that you all use that’s super effective?

• Like 1

Over the years I have dedicated fishing clothes, they get washed seperate and that’s all they are for, once they get ratty, a “new” set are dug out of my old clothes. That said, Dettol seems to be the best for fish smells, my wife always had a hot Dettol bath after fishing, never ever had small infected spikes or things like that.

• Thanks 1

There is a product called NILODOR that I use to get rid of smells in things like eskis etc.  It is absolutely amazing.   Haven't tried on clothing but I'm confident it will work.   I'd put 3 or 4 drops in a bucket of warm water and soack clothes in that.  Available in most large supermarkets in a tiny green bottle.  Let me know hpw you go if you try it.  Ron 

• Thanks 1

Chris,

Don't go fishing. Easily solved.  :074:

Similar to Noel - fishing clothes washed separately (sometimes just hung on the clothes line and hosed). When they can stand up by themselves, time to throw them away and use some other old clothes.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

Ditto to the above comments, 1 set of dedicated fishing cloths.

However, what I always do, is soak the cloths in a bucket of warm water with a cup of baking soda first over night, then wash separately from other cloths, and again, used baking soda instead of laundry products, this will fix your issues..

Another tip, I was always in work boots and after 3-4 months from new, ( because my feet are absolute sweaters) , Yep, they get pretty nasty on the nose. Actually, its funny that, some people have no issues, but as mentioned, my feet will start sweating after an hour or so of wearing them, SO, what I used to do, is put a table spoon of baking soda in each boot, shake it around a bit, and leave it be overnight, Presto, your boots will never smell !!  really good for footie boots, sneakers etc, I used to do this once a month or so.

Give it a go, you'll be suprised..

• Thanks 1

Can’t guarantee it works but my way of thinking is fish slime , blood and the like needs to be broken down at a cellular level which is what a degreaser does - you could try a strong mix of dishwashing liquid in a bucket of hot water , if you’re game a weak mix of bleach or maybe even a dedicated shower or bath cleaner like shower power - all of these dissolve grease,  body fat and body oil - just a few thoughts! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, BaitDropper said:

SO, what I used to do, is put a table spoon of baking soda in each boot, shake it around a bit, and leave it be overnight, Presto, your boots will never smell !!  really good for footie boots, sneakers etc, I used to do this once a month or so.

This is what I used to do with my tennis shoes and have started my son with it on his work shoes!

I too have dedicated fishing clothes.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, BaitDropper said:

Another tip, I was always in work boots and after 3-4 months from new, ( because my feet are absolute sweaters) , Yep, they get pretty nasty on the nose. Actually, its funny that, some people have no issues, but as mentioned, my feet will start sweating after an hour or so of wearing them, SO, what I used to do, is put a table spoon of baking soda in each boot, shake it around a bit, and leave it be overnight, Presto, your boots will never smell !!  really good for footie boots, sneakers etc, I used to do this once a month or so.

Good tip with the baking soda, I’m going to give this a try in my wetsuit boots that I wear for wading and beach fishing in winter. They can get pretty “ripe” if they don’t get a lot of water in whilst wearing.

As for the smell on clothes, leave them as is, it’s the smell of success.

Edited by Green Hornet
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

14 minutes ago, Green Hornet said:

Good tip with the baking soda, I’m going to give this a try in my wetsuit boots that I wear for wading and beach fishing in winter. They can get pretty “ripe” if they don’t get a lot of water in whilst wearing.

As for the smell on clothes, leave them as is, it’s the smell of success.

Yeah, it works a treat for smelly foot wear, it's an alkaline, so it absorbs anything acidic, including sweat.  I played a heap of tennis and ran in my day, after a week from new, my sneakers would only have one place to be, Outside !!  but Baking soda works brilliantly.

I also use it in my old reel restorations, 50/50 vinegar and water to remove that green corrosion, then to neutralize the vinegar  a paste of baking soda and water.. Its a great product..  As mentioned, for de smelling fishing cloths as well, I also used it for all my duck shooting clothes years back, while fishing I still do, shooting is now a think of the past.

I can't claim credit for it, I lived with my grandparents when I did my apprenticeship as a youngster, Ol Gran taught me this trick, been using it ever since.

With your wet suit boots, leave a table spoon in them all the time, don't empty them out when you put them on, its amazing how it stops your feet from sweating.....

Edited by BaitDropper
  • Like 3

On 12/2/2023 at 7:06 PM, noelm said:

Over the years I have dedicated fishing clothes, they get washed seperate and that’s all they are for, once they get ratty, a “new” set are dug out of my old clothes. That said, Dettol seems to be the best for fish smells, my wife always had a hot Dettol bath after fishing, never ever had small infected spikes or things like that.

I use sharkskins and a long sleeve rash shirt in summer and waterproof gear in the winter. On the ski you get covered in juices processing. Fish blood tends to be the hardest smell to get rid of. Will give the detol a try.

On 12/2/2023 at 7:21 PM, campr said:

There is a product called NILODOR that I use to get rid of smells in things like eskis etc.  It is absolutely amazing.   Haven't tried on clothing but I'm confident it will work.   I'd put 3 or 4 drops in a bucket of warm water and soack clothes in that.  Available in most large supermarkets in a tiny green bottle.  Let me know hpw you go if you try it.  Ron 

Thanks Ron, I’m willing to try anything to get rid of the fish blood smell. Usually if I soak for a few days it comes good, but might see if that works better.

On 12/2/2023 at 7:53 PM, BaitDropper said:

Ditto to the above comments, 1 set of dedicated fishing cloths.

However, what I always do, is soak the cloths in a bucket of warm water with a cup of baking soda first over night, then wash separately from other cloths, and again, used baking soda instead of laundry products, this will fix your issues..

This sounds good - I know baking soda is a great deodoriser, just never tried it in with my clothes. 👍

Gunna give this a try. Thanks 

On 12/2/2023 at 9:17 PM, XD351 said:

Can’t guarantee it works but my way of thinking is fish slime , blood and the like needs to be broken down at a cellular level which is what a degreaser does - you could try a strong mix of dishwashing liquid in a bucket of hot water , if you’re game a weak mix of bleach or maybe even a dedicated shower or bath cleaner like shower power - all of these dissolve grease,  body fat and body oil - just a few thoughts! 

Thanks XD, I’ll do some experimenting - I think the dishwashing liquid might be worth a try on the gloves. 

On 12/2/2023 at 7:37 PM, Yowie said:

Chris,

Don't go fishing. Easily solved.  :074:

Similar to Noel - fishing clothes washed separately (sometimes just hung on the clothes line and hosed). When they can stand up by themselves, time to throw them away and use some other old clothes.

haha,

I’m usually pinning the larger fish between my knees, in wrestling holds. Not much space on the ski - gunna get covered in slime and fish blood.

as for not fishing, not sure how long that would last 😁

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/2/2023 at 6:39 PM, Larkin said:

Gday Raiders,

any secret way to get fish stink out of clothing/gloves?

Caused by fish blood and fish slime.

I soak in nappy san, but have to soak it a couple of times to get it out, and sometimes after I dry them the stink comes back. 

Any specific products that you all use that’s super effective?

After a session, i just out my clithes in the washing machine. It fine after that

Great question Chris and one we’ve all struggled with. Like most of the comments I’ve got dedicated fishing / work gear - super lightweight “camping pants and shirt” these dry fast are light and cool and don’t hold smell like other fabrics. I have 5 pairs of Columbia Silver ridge convertible pants and although expensive at around $70, I wear them dog training, hunting and fishing and around the farm. These I wear every day.

like you Chris, I grab kingies inbetween my knees to pacify to dislodge the hook, which means they get slimy and bloody and therefore “odouriforous”. The shirts are the shimano / Anaconda type camping shirts made of the same material, but button up front also with buttons or Velcro on pockets . I find the synthetic long sleeve fishing “pull over” shirts smell and are hot to wear. 
When I get home I rinse in water and straight into the sink to hand wash or washing machine (don’t leave till next day) with some “DiSan” in liquid washing liquid. I’m out at least a couple of times a week and find no “fishy” smell.

• Like 1