Winner Winner Flatty...oh...

Morning Raiders,

Quick report here. Decided last night to head out on the 5am red-eye to Clontarf. Yes, I'm a morning person, but not as much as you boaties! I refuse to wake up any earlier than 5am!

Arrived 5:40am and took the fly rod out onto the flats. Started off with your classic white clouser. For some reason, my fly cast was really off today and my clouser tangled within a few casts and just didn't look right. Re-rigged and tied on my old faithful fuzzle shrimp.

As I cast more, I get more into the swing of things and stripping my fly along the dropoff, I come tight on what feels like a fairly decent sized flathead. Fix up my line so I can fight it off the reel and then start making my way back up the flats. As I see the leader, I start having visions of what I was going to do with a couple of decent sized flathead fillets. But as always when you have visions like that, the universe deviates with its plans and the hook came out. A bit devastated with that!

I cast on, my confidence buoyed a little but alas, no more hookups. There's a great Belgian bakery in Seaforth on my way home, so it was soon time to head home, coffee, bread and pies in hand. But walking back along the flats to the car, I decide to tow my fly back behind me. That's got me a couple of fish in the past, so it was worth a go. Lo and behold, halfway back to the flats, I come tight on a fish. I decide I'm going to keep walking back with the fish on, just managing the line as best I can.

That's when I realise the fish was a little STINGRAY! I start having visions of myself risking my bacon to get a measure on it for a stingray on fly Raider record. But (thankfully this time) as always when you have visions like that, the universe deviates its plans 😎 The hook pulls and I'm spared my fate of dealing with an angry stingray to get my fly back. Phew, that was close! 😅

Headed home with a good bag of pies and a fresh loaf of sourdough. Catch of the week!

Thanks for reading.

Mike

• Like 17
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, Little_Flatty said:

As I see the leader, I start having visions of what I was going to do with a couple of decent sized flathead fillets. But as always when you have visions like that, the universe deviates with its plans and the hook came out. A bit devastated with that!

Don't count on it until it is on the beach, on the bank, in the boat.  🤣

In saying that, I once had a nice flattie in the net, onto the deck of the kayak, then the flattie flicked it's tail, the hook fell out and it jumped out of the net and back into the water. 😂  Probably could hear me yelling at Perth.  :074:

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, mrsswordfisherman said:

Love the risks you take @Little_Flatty 

Go back and get one and submit it to records :clapping:

Might need few beverages before I summon the courage to pursue it🤣

11 minutes ago, Yowie said:

Don't count on it until it is on the beach, on the bank, in the boat.  🤣

In saying that, I once had a nice flattie in the net, onto the deck of the kayak, then the flattie flicked it's tail, the hook fell out and it jumped out of the net and back into the water. 😂  Probably could hear me yelling at Perth.  :074:

Yep! I hear that frustration!

Though if it’s on the beach I still wouldn’t count it as caught. They’re quite capable if slithering wherever they want to go!

I count it when they are photographed/released or dinner ready in my ice box🤣

• Haha 1