Are there any good spots for livebaiting on the northern beaches?

Hi. Ive been fishing for a while now and im starting to use live bait (yakkas). I usually throw out a livie at balmoral but havent caught anything yet but i have hooked onto some big fish that have smoked me off tho (at that time i was really bad at tying knots but im better now 😆). Anyway, i would like to know if there are any goods spots where i can catch salmon or maybe kings (some bonito would be nice too) pls give any advice u have. Cheers

• Like 2

Hey @Dumpling Democratic, keep fishing Balmoral, but upgrade your gear, I’ve hooked some Bull sharks there at night (scares me a bit seeing all the early morning swimmers crossing the headland over the bait grounds there). Also tailor and salmon there at the moment (Dec 2023). Have you tried filets of fresh yellowtail and slimies. I’ve found the Yakkas around Balmoral pretty small, so maybe butterfly one. I also like circle hooks - rarely miss with these, but DONT STRIKE, let the fish take and swim off with the bait and hook themselves. Fishing with circle hooks is very different to other styles of fishing.

On 12/17/2023 at 5:19 AM, Pickles said:

Hey @Dumpling Democratic, keep fishing Balmoral, but upgrade your gear, I’ve hooked some Bull sharks there at night (scares me a bit seeing all the early morning swimmers crossing the headland over the bait grounds there). Also tailor and salmon there at the moment (Dec 2023). Have you tried filets of fresh yellowtail and slimies. I’ve found the Yakkas around Balmoral pretty small, so maybe butterfly one. I also like circle hooks - rarely miss with these, but DONT STRIKE, let the fish take and swim off with the bait and hook themselves. Fishing with circle hooks is very different to other styles of fishing.

Wow thanks!!! Im heading out today to balmoral. Ill write a reprt about it soon. Ive tried using yakka fillets before and caught big trevally. I do have some cricle hooks. What size should i use? 

On 12/17/2023 at 5:19 AM, Pickles said:

I never catch anything in balmoral these days. Wharf is too packed and swimmers out there too early in morning to make it worth it