What hook for assist hooks

faker

The Atomic trick BitZ state they use a Gamakatsu octopus hook - I’m guessing this will be an octopus circle inline . I have also seen references to a J style hook . Probably going to be cheaper to buy ready made unless you are going to make lots of them and as you know ( or should know) it won’t be a one size fits all scenario as hook size and weight has a large effect on lure action .

If you have lures running assist hooks keep them in their own compartment- 1 lure per compartment as they tangle up something wicked! I tie the assist hooks together with a freezer bag twist tie and I found this helps to keep them from tangling up . 

• Like 2

For smaller whiting and bream, surface lures Gamakatsu Panfish hooks are wicked sharp and strong enough to pull any bream away from structure.
To stop them tangling in the tackle box I use tiny, dog grooming rubber bands I bought on eBay for next to nothing. Hook one over both your assists and the other end over your treble so the hooks lay flat along the belly of the lure. I do this with all my estuary hard bodies, assists or trebles, and can stack as many lures in the one compartment without tangling as I like.

On larger metal jigs I use Mustad Hoodlums.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, XD351 said:

The Atomic trick BitZ state they use a Gamakatsu octopus hook

The Gamakatsu Octopus hooks on available in shops have an offset and the eyes are bent backward. Is this the case for the trick bitz? @Green Hornet is the offset an issue?

I know the Panfish hooks are appropriate. You can buy them in bulk in boxes at a reasonable (but not dirt cheap) price.

5 minutes ago, Little_Flatty said:

The Gamakatsu Octopus hooks on available in shops have an offset and the eyes are bent backward. Is this the case for the trick bitz? @Green Hornet is the offset an issue?

I know the Panfish hooks are appropriate. You can buy them in bulk in boxes at a reasonable (but not dirt cheap) price.

I take the offset out of the Panfish with a pair of longnose pliers and a little pressure on the shank. Doesn’t seem to weaken them at all Mike.

• Like 1

Another really nice little hook for small assists is the Daiichi 2171-B, readily available as they’re popular with luderick anglers. They have a slight bend in the shank that helps them lay straight with a snell style knot.

With a finer gauge wire, they’re not as strong as a panfish, but plenty strong enough for flats fishing with 6 or 8lb braid.

• Like 2