Changing 2006 model 30 HP Yamaha tiller steer to side console.

Paikea

I have a 2006 30 HP two stroke Yamaha on my 4.1 Brooker and would like to change it to controls on a small side console.

I have no idea what parts would need to change but the internet seems to offer a wide range.

Has anyone had any experience of doing this? If so I would love to hear from you.

The motor is the old two cylinder workhorse used by oyster growers & kids transom standing their little tinnies etc, in fantastic condition I would like to keep it rather than upgrade to a 4 stroke but obviously cost will be a factor.

All advice gratefully received.

CheereIMG_1737-Copy.thumb.JPG.ce40c6462a930284ef1eb1a9cbe347db.JPG

Paikea

I have the same motor in forward steer which is basically going to be the same thing for a side console.

you’ll need the side console, helm, forward controls & cables, and steering cable and linkages.

Where IMG_1884.thumb.jpeg.61e7df9e949abf31f67d705f84eae9cf.jpegIMG_1885.thumb.jpeg.e682fed77e755134491893b6500d6d53.jpegIMG_1886.thumb.jpeg.6c2bf4bd3af6a50b761e3e906e5b310c.jpeg to get it all I don’t know but I do know looking at mine you don’t need to be a brain surgeon to put one on if you’re handy.

I'm not sure it would be worth the expense and trouble. You will lose quite a bit of room too (your boat is a bit on the small side). Might lead to trim problems as well. And more things to go wrong - especially cable steering. 

Thank you Fab

I think the only part that I am concerned about is the removal of the Tiller and replacing that with the linkage that goes through the main swivel. I guess I will need to remove the existing swivel and replace it with a hollow one to take the steering controls?

BTW, how do you find your motor? Happy with it?   Some folk claim that they are very noisy but hey that does not affect fishing at anchor!

Thanks for the advice, if anyone else knows how/where to get the parts please let me know.

Cheers

Paikea

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, slowjigger said:

I'm not sure it would be worth the expense and trouble. You will lose quite a bit of room too (your boat is a bit on the small side). Might lead to trim problems as well. And more things to go wrong - especially cable steering. 

Agree with what you’re saying especially the $$$ to change over.

36 minutes ago, Paikea said:

Thank you Fab

I think the only part that I am concerned about is the removal of the Tiller and replacing that with the linkage that goes through the main swivel. I guess I will need to remove the existing swivel and replace it with a hollow one to take the steering controls?

BTW, how do you find your motor? Happy with it?   Some folk claim that they are very noisy but hey that does not affect fishing at anchor!

Thanks for the advice, if anyone else knows how/where to get the parts please let me know.

Cheers

Paikea

I think you’ll find that your tilt tube is plugged and is the same.Not sure from the picture.

My theory in relation to the tiller is if it can be put on in the first place….I promise you I’ll remove it.

Noise? What?😂 We haven’t given the noise it makes a second thought since we’ve had it.

It certainly wouldn’t be like a 4 stroke that’s for sure.

These outboards will outlive humanity if you look after them.

Very happy with the engine for what it is mate overall.

The tilt tube is fine for cable steering, see if you can buy a complete kit to convert, if not, buying lots of small bits and pieces will drive you nuts, and send you broke! Is it electric start or are you going to just pull start it? If it’s not electric and you want to fit the parts (and wiring harness) you will then need a charge kit as well. Buying another motor makes sense in a lot of ways.

• Like 1

not worth doing paikea unless you can find  one getting wrecked and parted out i reckon not much change from $2000 if buying all the parts and thats not including fitting etc. i agree they are bullet proof engines with tlc .ring some wreckers you never know unless you ask cheers dunc333

• Like 1

Yammie CV 30, love them! Had one on a 14 foot savage Gannet and did exactly what your proposing, worked a treat. I bought a cheap generic Single Lever Power Engine Control and cables from one of the boating suppliers (Bias or Whitworth I think?) and made up a few bits from flat pieces of stainless steel to attach to the throttle and gear shift on the side of the motor, worked a treat. Steering I used a cheap generic steering box with cable kit which came with a mount to the steering tube. Nowadays a quick look at the sites and you'd just have some change from $1k but you have to be willing to finangle around a bit to get the control cables to work. You can also tap into the charge system and run a cable up to your battery (maybe don't use good old twin and earth 240v wire like I did!). Below are a couple of shots including a bad photo of the side of the motor with steering cable and control cables although there is an annoyingly large snapper in the way!! Those motors will be still be running when the sun crashes into the earth so its probably worth the investment. I stuck with manual tilt and pull start though, add ons for that are heavy and pricy. That little tinny got me out over the bar and onto some great fish at Port Macquarie for three years till I finally came to my senses and got something a bit bigger.

10.2kgSnapOnMatNov07.jpg.00b3f90a8ba4df781440d0d0d7b5dbe7.jpg

Boat3.jpg

• Like 1

yeah good idea without starter and generic  forward controls its doable .maybe a 2nd hand forward controls and cables ..your still gonna need a helm station though . i will keep a lookout where are you located paikea .if you good do it for a $1000 would you do it? cv"s are bullet proof .i had i cv  75hp ,i couldnt kill it and sold it on and i bet its till going strong