Flatty release and a catch off the flats

Headed out to the Hacking this morning with my son to catch some yakkas and target kings. Caught a dozen yakkas around 7:30am and dropped a couple down for a slow troll. First livey was hit with a few bruises, second one was snavelled by a nice flatty that measured 71cm then released.

Next stop was Maianbar to collect some nippers and try some flats fishing as the tide turned. Things were a bit slow as there was no breeze but I used the leccy and scored a few whiting from 28-40cm and a trev in the high 40s that has been prepared for sashimi tomorrow. Polished off some tempura whiting fillets tonight and everyone's happy:)71cmflattyreleasedJanuary62024.thumb.jpg.280c4749cde5b97bafbb7ada7195466d.jpg

January 6 catch Hacking.jpg

• Like 13

Nice bag of fish Rob. A good flattie, some nice whiting and a trev.

Always good to see a larger flattie swim off - that one was slower than some others, a few I have released took off like a rocket. Back in the water to terrorise some little fish, though it would probably try and eat your smallest whiting. 😋

13 hours ago, Yowie said:

Nice bag of fish Rob. A good flattie, some nice whiting and a trev.

Always good to see a larger flattie swim off - that one was slower than some others, a few I have released took off like a rocket. Back in the water to terrorise some little fish, though it would probably try and eat your smallest whiting. 😋

Thanks Dave

Good to get a feed and yes that smallest whiting would be the ultimate’swim bait’ for a croc👌

13 hours ago, Pickles said:

Way to go Rob a good feed of quality fish and that Flatty is a real beauty - free to breed another league of fishes.👏👏

Thanks Bob

Releasing a fish feels good and nearly always is followed by a feed🙏🏻

4 hours ago, Little_Flatty said:

Cracker flathead and bag for the table Rob!

So glad that there’s a slot limit now. Helps to ensure another generation of quality fish.

Bag limit is definitely a good move, you see hundreds of posts of crocs released these days, no more 90cm fish frames nailed to the back fence😜

• Like 1