Fishing Jervis bay land based

You’re right in the fact that Cave Beach is very flat and gutters are far and few between. If you head up the east end of the beach away from the track, there’s a bit more structure.

Bherwerre Beach, just a 10 minute walk from Cave, fishes heaps better for whiting and although it too is featureless, the fish are roaming the flats and will find your bait soon enough. Just walk down a bit to get away from the surfers and try there.

There’s a pretty good tackle store in Huskisson, if you’re going that way drop in as they often sell fresh school prawns, which when peeled make a nice whiting bait.

Edited by Green Hornet
  • Like 1

Yep agree, Pippis are simple to gather (in legal locations) I took my nephew Beach Worming yesterday, he told me he watched some YouTube videos and it looked easy……..fat chance! No amount of movies can match actually doing it, after about 40 minutes he gave up.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, noelm said:

he told me he watched some YouTube videos and it looked easy

🤣 How did he go Noel?

Much as I love YouTube, it can really give novice anglers a false impression of what fishing is really like, and why it is truly fun (I.e. getting out in the great outdoors, and the challenge).

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, noelm said:

Yep agree, Pippis are simple to gather (in legal locations) I took my nephew Beach Worming yesterday, he told me he watched some YouTube videos and it looked easy……..fat chance! No amount of movies can match actually doing it, after about 40 minutes he gave up.

Agree 100%. I was lucky enough to be taught by my uncle, who to this day was the best wormer I’ve ever seen. 

And that just reminds me, new laws have recently been introduced in Booderee National Park and I think it’s now illegal to take worms and pippies for bait from beaches inside the park. @mazzs248 you could confirm this at the information centre.

Edited by Green Hornet
  • Like 1

Didn’t fish at all, it was just a bit of fun and trying to get some worms for later. I am pretty useless at catching them, but I ended up with 4 which is enough for a quick fish.

• Like 1

Mazza 248 if you have a yabby pump you can pump for yabbies at low tide in the mangroves at the breakwater at Myola. Plenty of whiting to be had on the beach at callala or bream off the breakwater. Further up at Culburra beach you will get worms off the beach or yabbies in Wollumboola lake.

I’m back in Sydney but looking forward to come back to Jervis bay another time I might also practise my rock fishing while here to go for Pelagics next time and also practise reading beaches to find whiting ands other beach species