Fishing Jervis bay land based

hello guys I’m a young keen fisherman who is going to Jervis bay over the weekend I will be bringing a light rod and a medium rod and a beach rod i’m looking for some tips as in what bait and what general spots are alright and what species I should be going for any help would be appreciated thank you for your time

maz

Edited by mazzs248

Buy/catch some beach worms, use the lightest rod and fish the ends of any beach for Whiting. Plenty of Squid to be had casting out to the ribbon weed beds. flathead lurk on most beaches too, walking along spinning will get a couple.

• Like 1

@noelm has given you the best advice. About the only thing I could add is if you’re into sharks, there’s plenty of smallish, bronze whalers in close off the Jervis Bay beaches at this time of year. Early and late in the day is the best time for them using any kind of fish bait like pilchards or a mullet fillet.

Also, if you’re after Tailor and Salmon we used to get plenty of the headland at the end of caves beach via a bush track. The rocks nearest to the stairs at Steamers Beach also used to be a hot spot for those species. I have some other spots that are a bit dangerous and requires a hike to get to but those two should get you started 

I’m based at Vincentia so plantation point I’ll give a go for squid and rock fishing I’m a complete newbie so not too sure I’ll check the weather and swell but yeah if it’s a safe spot I’ll give a go.

4 minutes ago, mazzs248 said:

Both from plantation point this morning thank you for the tips and pointers first ever big squid for me

Were you casting to the weed beds? Don’t forget the beach worms, long shank, small hook, light line and a small sinker to fish the beaches.

You can try the outer tubes. I went there recently using prawns and I caught some legal trevally and leather jackets. Also there were yellowtail and lots of baitfish everywhere.

Edited by eaglesilk5

42 minutes ago, noelm said:

Were you casting to the weed beds? Don’t forget the beach worms, long shank, small hook, light line and a small sinker to fish the beaches.

Yes I was fishing the weed beds like you said to do and yes I still have to get some worms for the whiting

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Fried Rice said:

Nice catch, well done. If you are trying different spots just be careful of the sanctuary zones.

I found a book from the fisheries that you get from bait and tackle stores that shows the different areas and sanctuaries but thank you

4 hours ago, greekstyle said:

How did you go with the whiting?

Not much luck had about an hour of fishing tweed bait worms (nothing against them just think fresh or live bait is best) and went to cave beach (still learning how to read the beaches also found this one very flat) and yeah but next time I’ll come more prepared and try inside the bay. I’m still a beginner at fishing and still learning but the advice for the squid really helped guys.