Bobbin Head Flats

Jo5hC

Hey guys, recently had an unsuccessful trip to bobbin head where I explored the flats behind the marina for the first time. There were definitely fish there, as I could see many bream, garfish, herring, mullet, and even a few good sized whiting cruising around me; maybe attracted from the mud that I was stirring up? I was chucking around an 80mm slippery dog for whiting but over the two hours I was there I only got followed by some strangely aggressive mullet.

I suspect my leader could’ve been too heavy as I was running 10lb from my previous sessions, but I have hooked up on whiting and even bream before on 10lb so I was not sure. Also saw a ton of what I think were nipper holes, and I didn’t see any signs so I assume I can pump nippers there? If anyone has fished the same area any tips would be appreciated. Last thing is that I accessed the flats from the visitor area which is only open from 10am to 4pm, but are there any other ways to access those flats or is it only available during the times from the visitor centre being open?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jo5hC said:

Hey guys, recently had an unsuccessful trip to bobbin head where I explored the flats behind the marina for the first time. There were definitely fish there, as I could see many bream, garfish, herring, mullet, and even a few good sized whiting cruising around me; maybe attracted from the mud that I was stirring up? I was chucking around an 80mm slippery dog for whiting but over the two hours I was there I only got followed by some strangely aggressive mullet.

I suspect my leader could’ve been too heavy as I was running 10lb from my previous sessions, but I have hooked up on whiting and even bream before on 10lb so I was not sure. Also saw a ton of what I think were nipper holes, and I didn’t see any signs so I assume I can pump nippers there? If anyone has fished the same area any tips would be appreciated. Last thing is that I accessed the flats from the visitor area which is only open from 10am to 4pm, but are there any other ways to access those flats or is it only available during the times from the visitor centre being open?

Leader is definitely not too heavy, i've caught them on 12lb mono as it floats. With whiting you don't want to stop anyways so keep the lure walking and they won't even have a chance to see your leader haha. Don't know about the nippers but give it a try anyway, not much harm in bringing a nipper pump along haha, try to find a tide where you can fish a rising dead low tide, that way you can try for nippers and explore the terrain.

Good Luck!

Albert

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Jo5hC said:

I am heading there on Friday. If slippery dog is not working try blades or soft plastics. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Jo5hC said:

We're u using scent?

11 hours ago, Jo5hC said:

As faker mentioned vibes will also work very well for whiting if they're not keen on topwater especially the ecogear zx's

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, AlbertW said:

As faker mentioned vibes will also work very well for whiting if they're not keen on topwater especially the ecogear zx's

I also have one secret technique. a pro lure clone prawn with scent and sneaky little assist hook near tail. I am teaching someone soft plastics basics on the day before i bring out my double clutch and other lures

Edited by faker
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, faker said:

Were u using scent?

Nah I wasn’t but I’ll definitely try that next time, as well as the blades. Are the blades worked by hopping it or doing a lift and drop like vibes?

12 minutes ago, Jo5hC said:

Nah I wasn’t but I’ll definitely try that next time, as well as the blades. Are the blades worked by hopping it or doing a lift and drop like vibes?

exactly like vibes but more subtle

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jo5hC said:

there are other flats near apple tree bay. i am quite keen to fish them but might target a area i think is jew spot

• Like 1

On 1/24/2024 at 8:45 AM, faker said:

I also have one secret technique. a pro lure clone prawn with scent and sneaky little assist hook near tail. I am teaching someone soft plastics basics on the day before i bring out my double clutch and other lures

how to rig 'sneaky little assit hook near tail'? I used pro lure clone prawn a couple of times but no success...

2 hours ago, Powerofwill said:

how to rig 'sneaky little assit hook near tail'? I used pro lure clone prawn a couple of times but no success...

Tie a fishing hook with line under belly pin to rear prawn tail and linking it to jighead head