Tuna 200+ kg, from the shore - listen to the drag sing

DerekD

• DerekD changed the title to Tuna 200+ kg, from the shore - listen to the drag sing
4 hours ago, wazatherfisherman said:

Needed an Alvey for that one I reckon

Funny…but back in the “old days” Alveys were pretty common off the popular land based spots, those handles spinning around at whipper snipper speed were a real treat to try to slow down.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Great vids @DerekD, they bring back some terrific memories.

My heavy LBG outfit had a Penn International 80 with 900m of mono (no braid in those days) hanging off it and I was spooled twice, by large sharks I suspect. 
Whoever said lock up when you have a few wraps left on your spool and you’ll get your line back when your leader knot breaks is a liar. Both times my line broke just outside the roller tip LOL.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, noelm said:

Funny…but back in the “old days” Alveys were pretty common off the popular land based spots, those handles spinning around at whipper snipper speed were a real treat to try to slow down.

As a kid I saw someone fight a big ray at huskisson with one of those big bottom bashing Alveys and a boat rod. I could see how it is possible to land quite large fish on them.

• Like 1

Yep, lots of big fish caught on Alveys, of course when game reels became affordable and more common, Alveys just died out in favour of lever drags and so on.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, DerekD said:

Then a video of an insane run but the result went differently:

Enjoy the sound of the drag.

My best yellowfin weighed in at 213.85 lbs which converts to just over 97kg's and that was from a dead boat at the Peak
Sydney back in the Autumn 0f 84. I was using a custom Sabre rod and 8 1/2 Everol reel with 120lb jinkai straight to the 16/0 
kirby something xxxx hook. took me 1 1/2 hours to land it and it sat on the deck of my boat for 3 hours before being weighed.
I recon it probably would have gone the magic 100 kg's IF weighed straight away.
That memory stays with me for life.
I can only imagine what it must feel like to land that supburb speciman from the rocks using spin gear.
My hat comes off to the angler and those who helped him land that trophy fish. And thanks Derek for showing the footage here.
Frank

• Like 5

Just a bit of nostalgia from the old days (lots here will remember this stuff) back in the late 60s (or around then) a couple of Americans came out and in a lot of ways showed us how it was done, and revolutionised gear. We used to jig with sad old rods and Jigmaster reels or maybe Penn Senators, (I used a 4/0 wide Senator) game fishing off the rocks was Alveys, Policanskys (a lever drag reel of dubious quality) maybe an Everol (an Italian made reel that didn’t like water) and that was about it. The Americans came with “radical” action jig sticks, legendary jigs like irons and henchmen, and custom game rods with Penn international reels, which at the time were akin to owning a Rolls Royce…..I consider myself very lucky to not only meet these guys, but actually fished with them (I had a decent boat for camera work) 

These days you can buy a threadline reel (eggbeater) that would run rings around that old gear, but back then, it was cutting edge! Famous names like “short stroker” and super fast taper “jig sticks” brands like “iron glass” and Fenwick” were starting to become household names.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, noelm said:

Just a bit of nostalgia from the old days (lots here will remember this stuff) back in the late 60s (or around then) a couple of Americans came out and in a lot of ways showed us how it was done, and revolutionised gear. We used to jig with sad old rods and Jigmaster reels or maybe Penn Senators, (I used a 4/0 wide Senator) game fishing off the rocks was Alveys, Policanskys (a lever drag reel of dubious quality) maybe an Everol (an Italian made reel that didn’t like water) and that was about it. The Americans came with “radical” action jig sticks, legendary jigs like irons and henchmen, and custom game rods with Penn international reels, which at the time were akin to owning a Rolls Royce…..I consider myself very lucky to not only meet these guys, but actually fished with them (I had a decent boat for camera work) 

These days you can buy a threadline reel (eggbeater) that would run rings around that old gear, but back then, it was cutting edge! Famous names like “short stroker” and super fast taper “jig sticks” brands like “iron glass” and Fenwick” were starting to become household names.

Lee Marvin ( the actor ) was a mad keen game fisho and visited Sydney once on his way to the barrier reef and displayed some of his gear at a tackle shop which was at Harboard back in the day. Some magic gear that we common folk just dream about.

He used to charter a game boat up at Cairns and further north Thursday island and abouts .

He bought one of the deekies a fully set up game boat as appreciation of his great service to him during one of his stays.

Frank

• Like 4

Sadly I don't have too many photos from my LBG days because when carrying a backpack down vertical cliffs with a 80 and 50 International inside, There wasn't much room for a camera or anything else that weighed a bit.

This 87.5kg model was by PB yellowfin from the rocks caught back in 1985 on 15kg line and taking 2hrs and 45minutes to land. Sorry the photo is crap as its degraded over the years and was taken in low light without a flash. 

Landing that fish was one thing, getting it up the cliff was a story in itself.

6-04-85 87.5kg.jpg

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, frankS said:

Lee Marvin ( the actor ) was a mad keen game fisho and visited Sydney once on his way to the barrier reef and displayed some of his gear at a tackle shop which was at Harboard back in the day. Some magic gear that we common folk just dream about.

He used to charter a game boat up at Cairns and further north Thursday island and abouts .

He bought one of the deekies a fully set up game boat as appreciation of his great service to him during one of his stays.

Frank

Hi Frank- We used to have some of Lee Marvin's tackle at the fishing museum

• Like 1

2 hours ago, frankS said:

My best yellowfin weighed in at 213.85 lbs which converts to just over 97kg's and that was from a dead boat at the Peak
Sydney back in the Autumn 0f 84. I was using a custom Sabre rod and 8 1/2 Everol reel with 120lb jinkai straight to the 16/0 
kirby something xxxx hook. took me 1 1/2 hours to land it and it sat on the deck of my boat for 3 hours before being weighed.
I recon it probably would have gone the magic 100 kg's IF weighed straight away.
That memory stays with me for life.
I can only imagine what it must feel like to land that supburb speciman from the rocks using spin gear.
My hat comes off to the angler and those who helped him land that trophy fish. And thanks Derek for showing the footage here.
Frank

Awesome fish Frank!

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Green Hornet said:

Sadly I don't have too many photos from my LBG days because when carrying a backpack down vertical cliffs with a 80 and 50 International inside, There wasn't much room for a camera or anything else that weighed a bit.

This 87.5kg model was by PB yellowfin from the rocks caught back in 1985 on 15kg line and taking 2hrs and 45minutes to land. Sorry the photo is crap as its degraded over the years and was taken in low light without a flash. 

6-04-85 87.5kg.jpg

Pete that is mind blowing! Great capture from the rocks (or anywhere!)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, noelm said:

Yep, lots of big fish caught on Alveys, of course when game reels became affordable and more common, Alveys just died out in favour of lever drags and so on.

Hi Noel -The first 'game reels' were very similar to deep-sea Alvey's and had leather 'brake-pads' to palm the drag

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Green Hornet said:

6-04-85 87.5kg.jpg

Yep, carrying gear was bad enough, but a big fish on your back, going “uphill” is no picnic.

1 hour ago, noelm said:

Yep, carrying gear was bad enough, but a big fish on your back, going “uphill” is no picnic.

Don’t know if you know the spot, but this was at Eaves Ravine out Currarong way. The way in is a goat track at best and not for the faint hearted. Two of us carried this fish out and we were absolutely exhausted by the time we got it to the top.  
After that we made up a jib type of crane that we could use that got our gear etc down half way. Still needed 100m of rope just to get to there.

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, Green Hornet said:

Don’t know if you know the spot, but this was at Eaves Ravine out Currarong way. The way in is a goat track at best and not for the faint hearted. Two of us carried this fish out and we were absolutely exhausted by the time we got it to the top.  
After that we made up a jib type of crane that we could use that got our gear etc down half way. Still needed 100m of rope just to get to there.

Yep, know the exact spot, been there many times. We caught a bag of fish there once and carrying them out (in back packs, or “haversack” back then) and I can’t tell you how many times someone said “lets dump the fish” 

• Haha 4

On 1/24/2024 at 2:12 PM, Green Hornet said:

That is an all time pic / fish. The walk back would have also been a pain! Quite a far walk out of that headland. For 15+ years I used to go every year to Currarong for summer holidays. My family and I would stay at what used to be an old school at 13 Beecroft Parade. I would always ride my bike around Coomies Walk. My favourite little spot was the cave you crawled through and exited into this big cliff. I think its called Gosangs Tunnel on Google Maps. I've recently done a Syd to Melb solo drive, stopped by Currarong, and tried to camp at Target Beach but no luck. What upset me was that the old convenience store at the little town centre and the news agency have disappeared. It felt like my childhood memories had faded. I found an old pic from 2004 of my dad outside the house we stayed at.

45450023.JPG

• Like 6

11 hours ago, Birdy said:

That is an all time pic / fish. The walk back would have also been a pain! Quite a far walk out of that headland. For 15+ years I used to go every year to Currarong for summer holidays. My family and I would stay at what used to be an old school at 13 Beecroft Parade. I would always ride my bike around Coomies Walk. My favourite little spot was the cave you crawled through and exited into this big cliff. I think its called Gosangs Tunnel on Google Maps. I've recently done a Syd to Melb solo drive, stopped by Currarong, and tried to camp at Target Beach but no luck. What upset me was that the old convenience store at the little town centre and the news agency have disappeared. It felt like my childhood memories had faded. I found an old pic from 2004 of my dad outside the house we stayed at.

45450023.JPG

Great pic @Birdy Currarong sure has changed over the years that’s for sure. We used to climb through Gosengs Hole and the down a crack in the rocks to fish the ledge between Big and Little Beecroft. Sadly the buddy I used to fish that ledge with died far too young there in a cliff fall.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Amazing footage-when i was about 18 (many moons ago) was spinning Nth Whale with the maltese crowd that used to dominate the place and had my lure eaten at my feet by a rather large yellowfin-I was spinning with a Mitchell 499 and the vibration on that first run was something rather special-fish popped me off about 300 meters out , shame about the inshore yellowfin these days!!

• Like 4