Old magazine

noelm

With a move of house looming, I was sorting through some old stuff, found some $1,$2 and $5 notes that I saved when they were going out of circulation, and an old fishing magazine with a full page photo of my wife with a Yellowfin in an article by Rod Harrison who used to live close by. I took photos of a couple of other pictures in the magazine, please remember I did not take these, but the old one of rock fishing (I think Curracarang) kind of illustrate what people did to catch fish! The photo of the Marlin in the boat is special to me, because the guy on the left was a great mate and fishing companion who unfortunately lost his life in a work place accident.

IMG_0288.jpeg

IMG_0289.jpeg

IMG_0290.jpeg

• Like 7

I will take a couple more, there is an article on land based game fishing that is kind of relevant to a recent thread, with old Senators and ABUs in use, absolutely no idea if it contravenes any kind of copy right?? But the magazine is from the ‘70s so who knows.

27 minutes ago, BaitDropper said:

Great photo there noel..

I fish with Rod's son, he's a good friend, fishing skills never fell far from the tree there, as the saying goes.

But, some great memorabilia to be kept, for sure.

I guess you mean Terry? Or T as he was called, that article has a picture of him in his younger days, I will post it.

edit…..here you go.

IMG_0293.jpeg

Edited by noelm
  • Like 1

Great article, Yes, LOL that's him. He's certainly changed over the years, but I guess we all do.

He's still local, and a great encyclopedia of fishing knowledge, which has been great for me.

Runs the exact same boat as I do, it was him that got me my 140 so quick, thru a dealer he knew personally.

• Like 1

I consider myself very lucky to have been involved in those days, lots of fish and constant change as gear got better and better, and we built or modified existing gear as best we could. even the simple sounder, back then it was an old paper Furuno if you had one at all. GPS and mobile phones were decades away, you found spots by lining up landmarks (if you could see them) places like “the banks” were at best a 50/50 chance of finding it. We used to leave Crookhaven Heads, using just a compass and a watch, head just slightly south of east for a set time at 4,000RPM and hope to god the pros were still there……

1 hour ago, noelm said:

A couple more land based game.

IMG_0292.jpeg

IMG_0291.jpeg

I notice the author is Simon Cassettari - I used to play cricket against him back in the late 70's early 80's when we both wpould have been early 20's.  Park cricket in Manly Warringah - from memory his team was called Curracurrang Creek.  

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, mrsswordfisherman said:

Swordie says Harro was legendary. He mentioned “Going for Gold” video.

Going for gold was Steve Starling and the guy that built Seamaster boats, plus a guy something Bryant.

edit….one of the guys was Doug Phayer.

Edited by noelm

I guess I should add, my wife and I fished together for decades, she is as good as anyone with a gaff or net, can clean and fillet fish, she can reverse a trailer, paint a house, cook like a Michelin star chef and the best mother and grandmother ever……and if anyone tells her I said that you’re doomed!

Edited by noelm
  • Like 2

Wasn’t the one with harro one of Ron Calcutts  videos ? -  I remember one where rod catches a big tuna and is so buggered he can’t even help to get in the boat .

I still remember the way Rod Harrison said ‘lures’ on his videos which I hired form the video store before visiting the tackle shop across the road. ‘Lers’ or something like that. It was distinctive and brings back memories.

Listened to a great podcast where he was interviewed recently, it goes into his background as a police officer, Dean Butler’s amazing start to fly fishing and more: https://australianflyfishingpodcast.podbean.com/e/episode-3-rod-harro-harrison/

• Like 1

John Bethune told a few funny stories about bass fishing with Rod in his book Bethune on bass ( now that was an epic book ! ) they did quite a few trips into the upper colo river . 
Harro certainly does  have a strange way of saying lure , most Aussies sort of pronounce it loo-wa but he sort of says loo-r - maybe something he picked up from fishing with Americans ? 

• Like 1

What a discovery Noel. Moving has to be one of the hardest things that we humans do in life, yet there is always something there that tweaks the great memories we all have stored and forgotten. The old magazine would have resurrected an epiphany of memories for you and eased the pain of the work in hand moving. Great post. Wonder what your "old" money is worth to collectors these days? Probably not a huge amount, but another 20 years or so? Who knows?

bn

31 minutes ago, big Neil said:

What a discovery Noel. Moving has to be one of the hardest things that we humans do in life, yet there is always something there that tweaks the great memories we all have stored and forgotten. The old magazine would have resurrected an epiphany of memories for you and eased the pain of the work in hand moving. Great post. Wonder what your "old" money is worth to collectors these days? Probably not a huge amount, but another 20 years or so? Who knows?

bn

Not too sure about the money, regardless of what it’s worth, I am not selling it, it’s funny how strange the old notes look, I also found a paper $10 before they went plastic, and a $5 coin that is some kind of commemorative thing, they were in a photo album, all kept nice and flat. All this stuff, along with lots of old photos were in my old school suitcase. There is an old tatty picture, taken on the beach in front of my house, guessing during the 1920-30s which has my father and grandfather (and some other unidentified men) standing with a pile of big Jewfish, no idea how they were caught, there is no boat or nets in the photo, I will try and take a photo of it, but it’s faded and ratty

• Thanks 1

Just as a side note to all this, don’t know if anyone remembers, but a gravel ship (Hexham Banks) caught fire just off Shellharbour many years ago, my mate was a cop at Warilla station then, and in the early hours of the morning, he woke me up to go and rescue the crew, we got them all back to the harbour, took my boat home long before the media and “official” authorities turned up at daylight, I found an old newspaper clipping I saved.

Edited by noelm
  • Like 1

Here you go, the rocks in the background are right in front of my house, haven’t changed at all, the guy second left is my father, and next to him is my grandfather (according to some old writing on the back) absolutely no idea how they caught them, there is no boat in the picture, but, the little lake was easily accessible by boat, so best guess, they took the boat up the lake and tied it up, and the fish on the beach would have been waiting on the cart to take them, I don’t know how true that is, it’s just what I have been told. A rough count is 90 Jewfish, note everyone wearing hats!

IMG_0295.jpeg

• Like 3

It’s funny, but any reference to Barrack Point was “Barrack Head” no idea how or why it was referred to as “head” probably a throw back to it being a “headland” and being old fishermen, it was the correct nautical term?

That old photo is brilliant Noel, there's a huge amount of history in that photo, especially with relatives.

You may well be able to get it copied to preserve the memory, it looks a bit worse for wear. But still a great shot of history right there.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BaitDropper said:

That old photo is brilliant Noel, there's a huge amount of history in that photo, especially with relatives.

You may well be able to get it copied to preserve the memory, it looks a bit worse for wear. But still a great shot of history right there.

Yeah, I have a friend with a proper hi res camera and he said he could photoshop it to be like new…almost. There is a few old fishing photos, but don’t want to bore people to death!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, noelm said:

Yeah, I have a friend with a proper hi res camera and he said he could photoshop it to be like new…almost. There is a few old fishing photos, but don’t want to bore people to death!

Agree with Burger above,  don't think anyone will be in the slightest bored with old stuff like this noel, I luv looking at old photo's, especially old fishing photo's.

I went thru alot of mine when I moved, didn't realize what I had kept. It's great to find those Gems..

• Like 1