Trying to become a squidding sensei - progression / help.

Birdy

40 minutes ago, Restyle said:

You cannot really sound squid as they generally hang tight to structure and usually only leave it to strike a jig or at best follow it. Squidding form boat is a whole different mission compared to land. At night they do move around a lot more so you could sound them by playing with the sounders sensitivity but I find it not usually worth it

from the boat I like 2 rods, one has 2-3 jigs on it just hanging over the side and the other rods my working rod, I like to drift around and squid normally

Where are you located? Sydney?

52 minutes ago, Restyle said:

A really dirty trick that works at most jettys in the hacking is as follows, throw on a 1.8-2.2 sized jig and cast out the depth of the water, if the waters 4 meters deep cast out 4 meters and then do absolutely nothing. The jig will slowly arch down until it’s directly below your rod tip and just above the sea floor let it sit stationary and occasional vibrate the rod. If nothing takes the jig, cast out and jig normally before doing what I said above again. If you hook a squid using that ‘at the feet method’ just keep doing it till you get none then cast out and ‘bring the squid in’. This works almost to well if there’s 50 people on the jetty bringing in the squid for you. 

why this works I have no idea but it seems when they follow the jig in and the jig is recasted, they’ll hang around the jetty for awhile & this works well in the hacking as most jetty’s have lights which bring in baitfish and also good depth which keep the squid around. 

some nights the squid are really aggressive which means generally squidding like a normal human works fine, but on the nights they are very picky and not overly interested this tends to work wonders.

jig color at night is useless unless you fish with a light like I do or under a wharf with light, but more importantly jigs that glow different, weather it’s patterns or jig glow Color’s work better then the overerall jig color. The jig I’ve been doing well with in the hacking is brown and black, glows a bright electric blue and have black non glow spots on it 

I'll give it a shot next wharf I go to and let you know how I go! What's funny is I think I've done a variation of the "at feet" method and it's worked a charm. 

17 minutes ago, faker said:

I will need to fish again with @DerekDsome time to seen how he does stuff. Reading and testing consumes can take a while. It took me a month of watching and figuring out what was doing before I caught fish.

Located west but I fish the whole middle head. Past 2 weeks I found if I do a side cast in just right angle. I can get my pro lure Clone prawn into pylons of jetty by skipping. 

Still my catch ratios are bad

You gotta get a lil clip of you catching one with this style of fishing, keen to see it in action 😍

7 hours ago, Birdy said:

Just subscribed to all of them and slowly trying to find places that they are fishing, I've also bought a squid spike to put yakkas on with a float similar to James fishing adventures 👌

The ones by Matt and James are in South Australia and possibly Victoria - I mentioned them as they do things a little different down there and it might give you some ideas to try here in Sydney . Mel is usually at either at Kurnell or little bay iirc.

Edited by XD351
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Restyle said:

To save using a sinker use a heap of snap swivels. You can buy these squid jig snaps, put 2 or 3 of them on and it makes a 1.5 jig sink like a anchor

I tie a leader to my braid and on the end of my leader i add my sinker. Then connect my squid jig to my leader with a dropper loop

15 hours ago, Restyle said:

yeah southern sydney

So when you are on your boat, are you trolling super slow with the jigs at the bottom, or are you stationary and letting the current move them a bit? If you have a couple rods off the side, are you using your sounder to look at how deep your jigs are and then raising them about a foot off the bottom? Just trying to wrap my head around your method, sounds very useful.