Trout fishing

Hi all,

I have seen some videos of trout fishing in USA.

I was wondering if there is trout fishing like that in Australia? I'm in Sydney and was wanting to know if there are any spots, as it looks like a very fun and relaxing type of fishing.

If you have had any luck, let me know :)

Thanks

Also, I've found that the trout fishing has really died down a lot in the summer. The best spots in summer will be in rivers below dams, as the water in these rivers will be much cooler, which trout prefer. Try waiting until winter if you are fishing a natural and undammed stream. Others,  @R E G I C Y C L E may have a different opinion?

Edited by jaybez
Grammar
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, jaybez said:

Also, I've found that the trout fishing has really died down a lot in the summer. The best spots in summer will be in rivers below dams, as the water in these rivers will be much cooler, which trout prefer. Try waiting until winter if you are fishing a natural and undammed stream. Others,  @R E G I C Y C L E may have a different opinion?

Cheers mate, will have a look at some spots on the map. In your opinion what does trout taste like? I've never had it before, is it similar to any other fish? 

It's not too bad, stream trout are definitely nicer than dam trout, they have a much less dirty taste to them. Trout from a stream below a dam are the same as dam trout, as they've just swum over the edge of the dam. I'm not sure what id compare them to, have never really eaten many other freshwater species.

Edited by jaybez

Plenty of good trout options west of Sydney, providing you are prepared to drive around 2 hours. In my opinion the central west has the best trout fishing in mainland Australia. At our latitude trout rarely survive below 700m elevation, hence the need to drive a good distance.

The map jaybez posted is a great tool. Look for spots further away from main roads/towns and you will have more success.

I wouldn't necessarily call my preferred style of trout fishing relaxing, but definitely rewarding. I mostly walk streams and rivers, covering many kms in some fairly rugged country. Dam fishing is a lot more relaxing though and a good way to go if you'd prefer bait fishing over lures.

9 hours ago, jaybez said:

The trout still bite in summer, there's just no point fishing in the heat of a 40 degree day. Aim for a cooler overcast or rainy day, or fish first light till around 10am. With a lot of the western dams in summer, the river below the dam will nearly dry up as no water gets released. If you can find a dam that is consistently releasing water the fishing below it should be good.

6 hours ago, NewToFishing said:

Cheers mate, will have a look at some spots on the map. In your opinion what does trout taste like? I've never had it before, is it similar to any other fish? 

Trout are good eating. Kind of similar to whiting... mild with crispy flesh. They are a white flesh fish so great for smoking, although the actual flesh colour varies across waterways.

If you do plan to give lure fishing for trout a go, the below might be helpful. I don't know your fishing experience level but there is also a lot of general lure fishing info on this site, check the articles section.

Any other questions let me know, but hopefully that's helpful. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, dirvin21 said:

Unfortunately seasons closed in winter

Oh yes, so it is. Maybe I should say wait until the cooler months. The weeks leading up to the closed season are brilliant as the trout are trying to gain conditioning before spawning.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jaybez said:

Oh yes, so it is. Maybe I should say wait until the cooler months. The weeks leading up to the closed season are brilliant as the trout are trying to gain conditioning before spawning.

They definitely are, winter is a great time in the lakes as well