Lake Macquarie tips and tricks

Hi everyone,

I’m planning to do a trip up to Lake Macquarie in the next couple of weeks. I have never fished there before, but I was wondering if anyone has any tips or suggestions they could give me. Also if you have any spots you can suggest to me if you’re happy to share. I will be on a boat and will be using both bait and lures. Thanks.

I sent you a message Chris . 
The spots I mention are all common knowledge but do produce fish .

Swansea bridge - usually has a pile of boats fishing for kings.

The main channel - look for the deep holes , used to always get a feed of flathead there . There are smaller  holes around  the islands in the channel which are great for night fishing .IMG_0528.thumb.jpeg.6aad7f76feb490482b3542b59a22b9f9.jpeg

The end of wangi point - used to get a few flathead there , motor out from the shore until it hits 5to6m depth and drift - good in very light sw and ne breeze . 

You can usually get a few decent whiting around the islands at the drop over .

Just a word of warning - be careful in the lake in a decent southerly - I have seen wind swell almost big enough to surf in there and don’t swim in any of the deep water - there are some big sharks in there so keep any swimming to areas that are no more than waist deep and have good visibility, the shallow areas around the islands in the channel were a favourite of mine .

• Like 3

17 hours ago, _chris_ said:

Hi everyone,

I’m planning to do a trip up to Lake Macquarie in the next couple of weeks. I have never fished there before, but I was wondering if anyone has any tips or suggestions they could give me. Also if you have any spots you can suggest to me if you’re happy to share. I will be on a boat and will be using both bait and lures. Thanks.

Chris  - Lake Mac is a big piece of water and I'm not sure where you're planning on launching I used to fish the southern end regularly in the area south of Pulbah Island, its 10m deep with bugger all structure but holds a lot of bait which attracts jew and flatties, and in the cooler months, big tailor and salmon.

• 1 month later...