Topwater Tactics - Frogs vs Cicadas

20240208_174626.thumb.jpg.93f1a0cdfb6cce1cf36585366b635043.jpgFollow up from my previous report Skinny water bass session.

The following day I returned to my local creek as I couldn't resist those topwater eats any longer 🤤

I made it to the creek safely and began contemplating weather the old faithful baitjunkie frogs where getting tied on or maybe a cicada. I decided on the frogs.

As i began tying the uni knot to the weedless hook, the deafening sounds of cicadas flapping their wings  filled my eardrums. This reassured my decision. Off went the frog and on went the cicada. This was no ordinary cicada. I believe it to be a fairly decent design. Someone might be able to help my identify the name and brand of the lure after looking at the photo. Anyway the back story was that I had found it a few years back and it had just sat in the tackle box. The reason I wasn't able to identify this lure was its branding is in Japanese.

Anyway let's get back to the report. First cast I plucked out a solid 30cm bass and immediately the confidence was boosted. 

By the time the session was out I had 6  low thirties bass on top. I pretty good result. 

Day 3 

I returned for the 3rd day straight (totally hooked on the topwater boofs).

This session was very slow, probably due to the heat. After multiple cast, I contemplated calling it a day. A small willow tree cast a small shadow over the still water. I landed the lure 30cm from the bank. Booooofff, the instant the cicada lure hit the water a bass has smashed it. 

After almost getting bricked, a 42cm fish was laying on my mat. A super solid fish for the water I was fishing and a dounut saver 🥳20240209_182324.jpg.3b18076aa596cd093fbcddd22d19575f.jpg20240209_182545.thumb.jpg.cd7083b04bc9b8b4f1ed6e30d5b54a2a.jpg

• Like 16

Just now, Aussiefisherman said:

20240208_174626.thumb.jpg.93f1a0cdfb6cce1cf36585366b635043.jpgFollow up from my previous report Skinny water bass session.

The following day I returned to my local creek as I couldn't resist those topwater eats any longer 🤤

I made it to the creek safely and began contemplating weather the old faithful baitjunkie frogs where getting tied on or maybe a cicada. I decided on the frogs.

As i began tying the uni knot to the weedless hook, the deafening sounds of cicadas flapping their wings  filled my eardrums. This reassured my decision. Off went the frog and on went the cicada. This was no ordinary cicada. I believe it to be a fairly decent design. Someone might be able to help my identify the name and brand of the lure after looking at the photo. Anyway the back story was that I had found it a few years back and it had just sat in the tackle box. The reason I wasn't able to identify this lure was its branding is in Japanese.

Anyway let's get back to the report. First cast I plucked out a solid 30cm bass and immediately the confidence was boosted. 

By the time the session was out I had 6  low thirties bass on top. I pretty good result. 

Day 3 

This session was very slow, probably due to the heat. After multiple cast, I contemplated calling it a day. A small willow tree cast a small shadow over the still water. I landed the lure 30cm from the bank. Booooofff, the instant the cicada lure hit the water a bass has smashed it. 

After almost getting bricked, a 42cm fish was laying on my mat. A super solid fish for the water I was fishing and a dounut saver 🥳20240209_182324.jpg.3b18076aa596cd093fbcddd22d19575f.jpg20240209_182545.thumb.jpg.cd7083b04bc9b8b4f1ed6e30d5b54a2a.jpg

20240208_174041.jpg

• Like 5

Thanks for the report. I have done plenty of bass fishing with cicadas lures, but only just starting to try the frogs. 

I took a screenshot of the lure in the bass’s mouth, cropped out the fish, and then used photo to search directly in google, the result was HARIMA KO DONGURI MOUSE 45MM, sound right?

cheers,

Gus

Edited by Lizardboy
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

A 42cm wild bass is bigun! Nice work ! Great report!

Was watching a guy on YouTube catching Bream on a cicada lure down near Balmain  a few days ago - seemed that they would only hit a surface lure for some reason.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Aussiefisherman said:

Day 3 

The jackall micro pompador would be a good alternative if you can't find it

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Lizardboy said:

Thanks for the report. I have done plenty of bass fishing with cicadas lures, but only just starting to try the frogs. 

I took a screenshot of the lure in the bass’s mouth, cropped out the fish, and then used photo to search directly in google, the result was HARIMA KO DONGURI MOUSE 45MM, sound right?

cheers,

Gus

Yeah thanks mate 👍 there definitely the ones 

4 hours ago, XD351 said:

A 42cm wild bass is bigun! Nice work ! Great report!

Was watching a guy on YouTube catching Bream on a cicada lure down near Balmain  a few days ago - seemed that they would only hit a surface lure for some reason.

Cheers mate 👍

Ah yeah was that flick with mick ?