DPI Survey

jaybez

Hello all, it seems that most people here are having a relatively slow start of the year fishing-wise.

I was approached by the DPI at the end of last year and they asked if I would subscribe to a survey of the fishing that I do. I agreed and now put details onto a diary to report to the surveyor when he calls me once a month. The details aren't very in-depth, just the date, location, what time of the day, and whether I caught any fish. The guy who calls me to take down my data from the DPI has said that this has been one of the slowest years that he has ever seen in all his years of taking the data. I think he mentioned he may have been doing it for 10 years?

So there is slow fishing across the board it seems.

I went 12 straight trips at the end of January without a fish which looks like poor reading. 😅

The bloke who calls doesn't really have any solid reasoning why the fishing is slow, but he believes it may have to do with the weather patterns so far this year being very inconsistent, which impacts the barometer and an array of other factors.

He mentioned that it was the same for both salt and fresh water fishers.

Thought it might be of interest.

Edited by jaybez
  • Like 7

Thanks for your post jaybez. As an avid reader of posts on Fishraider and other sites I had noticed the same thing and can substantiate the same experiences in Freshwater fishing.

I have no concrete reasons for this phenomenon either, but it is definitely the case.

There is enough expertise on this site to contribute to solid opinions on the findings that your DPI contact has established although a definitive answer may not be achievable.

Thanks for sharing the information.

bn

Oh how I’d love to buy this guy a few beers and see what I could learn! Even without the secret spots, just learning about various environments and how they interact with weather and tides would be fascinating.

I have often thought certain members’ diaries would have fantastic scientific value, like @Green Hornet and @Yowie’s diaries, being in a focused area for a protracted period of time.