Beach fishing jigs

faker

Hi guys, 

I got a question about conditions on when jigs are best used off beaches.

When I was in avoca it was 1.3 m swell from the east so jig washed right back at me.

But say I was fishing narrabeen on southern/northern swell. What is best swell height to surf fish without jig pushedright back?

Edited by faker

3 hours ago, noelm said:

Not too sure I follow, do you mean jig or rig? A jig you cast out and wind back, it won’t get washed back.

Jig. At the moment everytime I toss a 30g jig out it comes back swept by waves on Eastern swell off avoca beach.

I am trying to find a optimal adjustment to this by seeing what swell level will send jig back.

Edited by faker

I am lost to think of how a jig can get washed back in when you’re retrieving it at speed, back to yourself on the shore. Sometimes swell size is irrelevant to currents (or rip) on a beach, whether that be a straight out rip, or a sideways current or “sweep” as it’s termed.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, noelm said:

I am lost to think of how a jig can get washed back in when you’re retrieving it at speed, back to yourself on the shore. Sometimes swell size is irrelevant to currents (or rip) on a beach, whether that be a straight out rip, or a sideways current or “sweep” as it’s termed.

Slow jigs get tossed around alot in surf

12 hours ago, faker said:

Slow jigs get tossed around alot in surf

Not sure what you expect to happen . . . I would think this would be normal in the surf?

I know I get tossed around and I weigh PLENTY more than a jig 😂

• Haha 2

22 hours ago, Burger said:

Not sure what you expect to happen . . . I would think this would be normal in the surf?

I know I get tossed around and I weigh PLENTY more than a jig 😂

i was watching people on youtube shore jig off beaches on 40g but i am not sure on conditions appropriate for it

It may help to know what your jig is. Assuming it is a combination plastic and lead, you might try swapping to a fall jig when conditions are heavier. They'll work on the drop, slow retrieve or fast. You can even skip them across the occasionally to excite fish (experiment with speed and height of rod tip).

You don't need to buy the S brand. I order mind direct from the country that manufactures most lures (you should be able to guess that and the budget seller). I generally bought mine with no ring or hook attached so I can fit heavy duty rings and 3X single hook. If they did happen to come with rings and trebles, before use I replaced them (because cheap lures have rubbish that bends or straightens too easily).  I'm not hung up on colour, having an eye or anything else, but do go for some reflective shine when buying. Here's are some examples of lures newly fitted and lures well chewed (and battered) but still taking fish. It's the width of the lure that makes the lure flutter as it falls. Some shaping of one side pay help, as well.

NewComparedtoChewedLure1.thumb.JPG.87a2cec5ab6bde9c983eb17355cde28f.JPG.

If you are wondering about the absence of hooks, I was mid task, fitting new ones.

NewComparedtoChewedLure2.thumb.JPG.ef462397aad2da5cbfe361314e6d5004.JPG

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Steve0 said:

It may help to know what your jig is. Assuming it is a combination plastic and lead, you might try swapping to a fall jig when conditions are heavier. They'll work on the drop, slow retrieve or fast. You can even skip them across the occasionally to excite fish (experiment with speed and height of rod tip).

You don't need to buy the S brand. I order mind direct from the country that manufactures most lures (you should be able to guess that and the budget seller). I generally bought mine with no ring or hook attached so I can fit heavy duty rings and 3X single hook. If they did happen to come with rings and trebles, before use I replaced them (because cheap lures have rubbish that bends or straightens too easily).  I'm not hung up on colour, having an eye or anything else, but do go for some reflective shine when buying. Here's are some examples of lures newly fitted and lures well chewed (and battered) but still taking fish. It's the width of the lure that makes the lure flutter as it falls. Some shaping of one side pay help, as well.

NewComparedtoChewedLure1.thumb.JPG.87a2cec5ab6bde9c983eb17355cde28f.JPG.

If you are wondering about the absence of hooks, I was mid task, fitting new ones.

NewComparedtoChewedLure2.thumb.JPG.ef462397aad2da5cbfe361314e6d5004.JPG

i have been using slow fall jigs the most

3 hours ago, faker said:

i have been using slow fall jigs the most

Mostly, I prefer fall jigs, but I do prefer thinner profile when distance is required. However, they surf as easily. 

Wind is an issue when it can get hold of your line. The greater the angle your line is to the break, the more chance the waves can get hold of your line and surf your lure in. 

Do you use braid? Quality thin braid will reduce the problem because there is less for the water to get a purchase on.

Assuming you have quality braid, then up with you lure weight, cast flatter, directly into the wind, change to a more sheltered location or a combination.

Edited by Steve0

42 minutes ago, Steve0 said:

Mostly, I prefer fall jigs, but I do prefer thinner profile when distance is required. However, they surf as easily. 

Wind is an issue when it can get hold of your line. The greater the angle your line is to the break, the more chance the waves can get hold of your line and surf your lure in. 

Do you use braid? Quality thin braid will reduce the problem because there is less for the water to get a purchase on.

Assuming you have quality braid, then up with you lure weight, cast flatter, directly into the wind, change to a more sheltered location or a combination.

I will keep in mind