Bate Bay

Headed out with my fishing mate on Sunday arvo and anchored in Bate Bay. Did not take long for large yakkas and slimies to turn up, and they stayed until dark. So many of them that they attacked most baits, on the top, sinking, near the bottom. Even the bottom dwelling reef rubbish did not get to the baits. Several reddies turned up, all just under size, and it was not looking good.

Mackerel heads, chunks of mackerel and yakkas, big fillets, but nothing on the take other than bait fish. One kingie took a bait, but undersized.

About half dark, the trags turned up, then quickly left. Not big ones, the best at 44cm. Quiet again until full dark, then I caught the tailor on floating baits, only small ones, the best at 33cm. Still edible fish.

Mate then hooked up to something decent, but he picked it as a shark - a good sized gummy it was. I tried to grab the tail, was splashed several times by the critter, then finally grabbed it and hauled it aboard. A rough measure put it above 1.2 metres, and it was released.  Headed home after that.

fish.jpeg.433_files_files_files.jpg

• Like 15

39 minutes ago, kantong said:

nice bag of fish there. 1.2m gummy would have been fun!

It put up a fight, even when on board it kept bouncing around. Took both of us to keep it still so as to remove the hook.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jenno64 said:

Some fillets to enjoy from that bag Dave👌

Thanks Rob, happy to have something to bring home.

Was thinking it might have to be slimey fillets 🤣. Have eaten them before, strong tasting but plenty of good omega-3's.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Larkin said:

Nice catch mate! Plenty of baitfish in bate bay atm. The trag all seem to be around that size. One of my favourite eating fish.

Didn’t want to keep the gummy? 

Stacks of yakkas and slimies under the boat, to the point of being annoying because they were attacking most baits,

Mate's trag swam around the lines, took a while to untangle so the school may have moved on.

A fair sized gummy. Mate decided the fillets would provide a lot of meat, he did not want that much (neither did I) so it was released. Strong bastard, did not keep still once I had hold of it. I was crouching down on the duck board, one hand holding on, the other trying to grab the gummy's tail which is why i got rather wet from the tail splashing about. Would have been some fun for you on a ski, trying to haul that one aboard.

• Like 1