Clontarf/The spit very quiet day

Headed out to the spit to try and catch my first king. Arrived at Clontarf sand flats around 11 and set up my 2 poddy traps. While waiting for the traps to do their thing, I casted around a sugapen to try and tempt a whiting, as there were plenty of on the flats. Haven't really figured out how to fish surface yet, so no whiting were caught but there were heaps following the lure all the way in. Did get a few hits from what i assumed to be small tailor. Saw some massive 40cm+ whiting sniffing around 🤯too, if anyone is trying to get big whiting in the harbour i can highly recommend this spot. It was quite slow on the poddies too, so i decided to chuck some breadcrumbs over the top of my traps as 'burley', which seemed to do the trick as i got about 20 in a few minutes. Armed with a bucket of poddies, i headed to the spit bridge to chase some kings. Very slow at the bridge too, livies were getting shredded by jackets 😠. Dad managed a few small pinkies and jackets on cut up mullet. Saw a few small bustups, spun a twisty through the schools for no sucess. Moved back to clontarf in a last ditch effort to get a flatty, nothing but a small tailor which ate the live poddy.

Overall, pretty terrible day for fishing but fun nonetheless. If anyone has any tips of spots to catch kingfish they would be greatly appreciated 😅

Edited by ireallylovefishies22
  • Like 11

Bugger the kingies, give the whiting a go if they are there. Nippers or worms are the best baits if lures are not working.

One thing about whiting, I have found if you can see them, they can see you and do not always bite.

• Like 2

Good to hear you bagged out on poddies as it's been tough going getting numbers down my way. As for the whiting, try the same spot when there is a good breeze blowing, I find that whiting are more aggressive if the tide or breeze are moving well. In my opinion, if you can se the whiting they are pretty hard to catch:)

• Like 1