Chain Valley Bay

Donna

Hi everyone.

Im heading to Chain Valley Bay next month with my boat for a couple of days to fish. Does anyone have any ideas about spots worth trying and is it worth taking my crab nets with me.

thanks for any advise

I lived there for a year in 2007- nice place !

link to dpi map  https://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0005/680450/Map-lakemacquarie.pdf

Below I have added a few spots I used to fish for flathead usually using prawns or half pilchard as bait .  ( red circles)  I never put traps for crabs out as it was illegal back then but is permitted now - link to post on here about it

if I were going to try for a crab I would do it in the yellow circles as this is an extensive shallow area with lots of weed and not much current . If you want to fish the main inlet channel ( Swansea to the ocean ) stick to the last and first hour or so either side of a tide change as the curren rips through here hard .
Please don’t swim in the lake unless it is in a caged area or shallow with good visibility as there are some humongous sharks in there - especially around pulbar island. I used to swim in the clear shallow water around the islands in the main channel at Swansea . There are two tackle stores there - one on the south west side of Swansea bridge and another at marks point ( this one has a YouTube channel also that does a weekly fishing report every Friday ) sorry can’t name them on here due to site rules - they will be easy to find by doing a search on the internet.

Unless they have updated it the ramp at chain valley bay is only very small - I wouldn’t want to launch anything bigger than 4.5 m tinny there . Sometimes I could catch poddy mullet at the ramp also .
IMG_0575.thumb.jpeg.faf9e98c29de35f538961aed2644548f.jpeg

Edited by XD351
  • Like 3