First Aussie salmon

Hi guys,

Headed out to Kiama to a nice spot, this was last week, swell was 1.5 metres so not the best for fishing but managed to stay safe enough for a few hours.

Used a halco twisty metal lure, hooked onto this nice Aussie salmon, put up a very good fight, best fish I've fought yet, the feeling of drag pulling is amazing.

Was tough lifting it up the ledge as I was quite high up, but managed to do it alone and had 60lb mono.

I am starting to love using lures, seems much more fun that just letting a float sit until it gets hit, when a lure gets hit it's just an amazing feeling, can't describe it.

Can't wait for my first kingfish... 

IMG-20240222-WA0000.jpeg

Edited by NewToFishing
  • Like 18

G'day mate nice Salmon- I reckon they fight as hard as anything. One tip for you and I mean this in the nicest possible way- DON'T wear long pants when you go rock fishing! Any water coming over your ledge can 'grab' them and aid in knocking you over. If for some reason you end up in the water (and I genuinely hope you never do!) they are really hard to swim in also. Would like to hear you out catching more Salmon and other lure grabbing species for years to come. Stay safe and happy fishing

• Like 7

2 hours ago, noelm said:

Did you say you use 60lb mono?

Yes mate, I originally bought that mono to use as leader, but had spare left over and threw it onto a spare reel and just used it. It served well on this ledge as I was very high up and relied on the line strength not to snap while hoisting the fish up.

6 hours ago, wazatherfisherman said:

G'day mate nice Salmon- I reckon they fight as hard as anything. One tip for you and I mean this in the nicest possible way- DON'T wear long pants when you go rock fishing! Any water coming over your ledge can 'grab' them and aid in knocking you over. If for some reason you end up in the water (and I genuinely hope you never do!) they are really hard to swim in also. Would like to hear you out catching more Salmon and other lure grabbing species for years to come. Stay safe and happy fishing

Ah wow, I didn't realise that mate thank you ,definitely will wear shorts next time. Always use a life jacket now too and to be honest next time I won't go in such a high swell, it got a bit sketchy at times lol.

• Like 1