Broughton Island

Gday Raiders,

Went up to Nelson’s Bay for an overnighter with two of my mates. We took our JetSkis and plan was to fish Broughton Island and the fads. Arrived at the ramp at midnight, crashed out and woke up at first light. First stopped at Cabbage Tree Island for live bait and then straight out to the fads.

My mate got a single 70cm dolly, and that was it. Large numbers of small 30-50cm Dollie’s though. 

We had enough, so rode over to fish the reefs close to Broughton for snapper, but it was already past midday, so no bites. Again heaps of micro Dollie’s on the surface smashing the soft plastics. Good fun on my light rod, but no fish of note.

Hit up Broughton to troll the cliffs, could see huge schools of bonito underneath. Couldn’t ride 10m without a hook up. Caught about 10 bonito in 30 minutes, all released but one. A small 50cm dolly took the lure there too. 

Decided to go for a cool off, so headed off to a beach to dive along the rocks for some Turban snails and Urchins.

Finished off the day with a fresh seafood buffet for dinner, and my South African mate cooked us up a boerewors sausage too.

IMG_4327.thumb.jpeg.e50a17e6feaea175cc4c63e32ec882ab.jpeg
One of the micro dollies 

IMG_4332.thumb.jpeg.8b2b41d3d94268b0ef76724f2f810c79.jpeg

Diving for urchins and turbans

IMG_4333.thumb.jpeg.b41f38045073ad469f942573c1eadb7f.jpeg

IMG_4337.thumb.jpeg.f89932dcbaec1f37522d2a1f4d14a803.jpeg

IMG_4342.thumb.jpeg.db13cde3f795e9c40076fbbe897a53e9.jpeg

Fresh urchin roe on ice

IMG_4343.thumb.jpeg.7355e99de91cbd5f1d4d371f520ca52c.jpeg

Fresh Bonito sashimi

IMG_4348.thumb.jpeg.981868810f320afbbdea989b488de05b.jpeg

Turban Snails with lemon grass

IMG_4353.thumb.jpeg.d87ee2636e1eed9b9a0aba18f2e461e1.jpeg

boerewors Sausage

Edited by Larkin
  • Like 17

4 hours ago, jenno64 said:

Looked a like a great trip Chris, plenty of action and a cracking feast to top it off!

From ocean to plate - doesn’t get any better!

The guys came prepared with a couple of home made sashimi dipping sauces and limes.

4 hours ago, Restyle said:

Nice trip away with some different scenery from your usual haunts. Very nice area up there. 

Broughton Island is such a beautiful place to fish and visit - with some amazing crystal clear water beaches. Really enjoyed the foraging for urchins and turbans, & was nice to cool off in the water after a few hours of fishing.

• Like 2

Something different there Chris. Never eaten turbans and urchins (the blue groper always liked the urchins being opened when I was in my diving days)

Nice to visit a different area.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Yowie said:

Something different there Chris. Never eaten turbans and urchins (the blue groper always liked the urchins being opened when I was in my diving days)

Nice to visit a different area.

Beautiful part of Australia! Cruising around the islands up there is worth doing!

My first time trying these too. The urchin roe was fantastic with a squeeze of lime. Surprised how good it was.
The turbans (which were quite large, 10-12cm wide) have a meaty part similar to abalone, we boiled these up with lemon grass, sliced thin and dipped into a Vietnamese chilli dipping sauce. They have another orangey part my mate called the liver - I think it may have been roe - it tasted like a creamy egg yolk & was very nice.

1 hour ago, thaichilli said:

Great to have such an amazing places to go. Nice showcase of cooking the "goods".

So nice up there around Broughton Island!

One of the benefits of fishing, is we get to eat the freshest of seafood!

13 hours ago, Larkin said:

My first time trying these too. The urchin roe was fantastic with a squeeze of lime. Surprised how good it was.
The turbans (which were quite large, 10-12cm wide) have a meaty part similar to abalone, we boiled these up with lemon grass, sliced thin and dipped into a Vietnamese chilli dipping sauce. They have another orangey part my mate called the liver - I think it may have been roe - it tasted like a creamy egg yolk & was very nice.

Sounds like the roe with the description and taste.

Abalone is another good food from the sea, though not many around here any more.

• Like 1