Boats owned past and present

frankS

I was recently asked how many boats I have owned over my lifetime and I couldn't think of a number to tell the guy so I said about 20 well here is a list of the ones I can remember I have owned.

1st boat 12' tinnie 4hp johnson and trailer bought from Nock and Kirbys liverpool around 1961, trailer was bought seperate from boat and motor.
2nd boat 17'2" pongrass half cab 85ho Johnson on trailer, first boat to go outside the heads with.
3rd boat 12' Dehaveland flat bottom punt 6hp Johnson, still have this boat, motor and trailer long gone.
4th boat 13' SavageSnipe 15hp Johnson' built trailer first of many.
5th boat Glass tri hull around 16' 55hp Evenrude and 2nd hand built trailer.
6th Brooker 14' 30hp Johnson and trailer
7th boat another 12' dehaveland punt 9.9 Mariner and my first aluminium hand built trailer.
8th boat 15' Glass half cab can't remember the make 55 Evenrude and trailer.
9th boat 6'2 glass tri hull 200 Mercury bogy trailer was going to be my charter boat as it had Vic 2c servey but changed my mind.
10th boat 14' Savage gannet bought brand new 30hp motor first new item for a boat, and 2nd alloy trailer hand built.
11th boat14' Brooker 40hp Evenrude and trailer.
12th boat475df Steber 55 Evenrude and trailer 2nd longest boat I have owned.
13th boat Savage lancer 5.3 80hp Mariner and trailer 2005 bought new 90hp Etac motor, still have this boat althought unused for last 7 years.
14th boat Bertram 28 ' twin mercruser diesels Moored Bermagui harbour.
15th boat 7.3 steel hull alloy half cab, EX police boat made in France 351 ford V8 motor moored Bermagui Harbour.
16th boat 4.3 Sea Al 40hp Johnson and trailer.
17th boat 4.9 Quintrex Jon boat 1 of only 4 in Australia, built export to U S A for duck boat. This was brand new bare hull bought 40hp Tohatsu and 
built aluminium trailer, decked out to side console compitition boat. ( wish I still had it , only boat I regret selling ).
Now it comes to boats I have had since joining this forum.
Pongrass 17'2" waverider half cab had 120hp Johnson on it but switched to 90hp Johnson ( late model ) for more reliability as it was moored in Bermagui
and I took it outside often. 
Brooker 14' tinnie converted to side console 30hp Mercury and trailer.
Quintrex 15' tinnie 40hp Evenrude made aluminium trailer for it.
Quintrex 14' project boat never seen water sold recently.
Savage Scorpion 485sf 90hp eTEC Evenrude and trailer (currently for sale).
Pride Gazelle 5.5 open glass with forward bow ride.

There would be no doubt a few mixed in there somewhere I have forgotten about.

Forgot the 16foot wood surf boat I fully glassed over and put  60hp Army johnson on it ( heavy duty motor ) built steel trailer for it. Only had it 3 weeks and one day down at picnic point a guy seen it and fell in love with it and offered me silly money for it . Hope he still uses it.

as well as these I have been halves in 4 other boats that I won't count here.

Just thought this may be interesting for some members here.

Frank

• Like 9

@frankS Mate, that is an impressive list. I've had 6 since my first boat in 1988 which iwas a roof topper when we travelleed around australia for a few years and I thought I'd had a few.

I always lusted after a Betram 28 back when I was doing a lot of offshore fishing in the late '90s .... it would still be a dream boat for me but would probably look out of place up at Split Rock, if I could fit it on a trailer.!! haha!!

Its sometimes too easy to think of a boat as a hole in the water that you throw money into, but they actually buy some great memories!!

Thanks for sharing!!

Hilly

Quite the impressive list. good Memories on all boats for sure. I'm still looking around occasionally for my first boat. i do quite like the pongrass boats

I have had a few over the years, not counting various dinghy and row boats, let me see….

1 a 13’ Easyrider with a 50 Merc (always breaking down)

2. An 18’ Graywill Commando with a 135 Mercury “tower of power

3. a Seafarer Viking with twin 55 Johnson’s (fair boat at best)

4. An 18’ Alloy Cat with twin 70s 

5. a 13’ Savage tinny with a 9.9 Mercury

6. an 18’ Sharkcat with twin 90 Yamahas

6a,,,,forgot one, Quintrex Explorer with a 20 Mercury.

7 a 20’ Rebel Cat with twin 120 Evinrudes, then 115 Evinrude Fichts

8. an 18’ centre console Sharkcat with twin 90 Suzukis (still got it)

9. a Stacer 4.29 Outlaw with a 50 Yamaha. (Still got it) 

Those were boats I actually owned and used for a long time, there was heaps as well that I just bought and sold, but never really fished out of them. Oh, I forgot, I also had a 36’ Trawler in Jervis Bay for years around the time of the Graywill Commando. Some of those boats I had at the same time, the tinnys are for crabbing in Lake Illawarra. Boats I bought and sold, Seafarer VC (crap built boat) 18’ Easyrider, some kind of unbranded half cab, various aluminium boats and motors, a Swiftcraft  Seagull, a 16’ Cruisecraft, Haines Hunter 16 or 15’ with a 120 Evinrude, a Clarke centre console with a tiny 35 on it, that’s just the ones I remember.

Edited by noelm
  • Like 3

Just to add to the above, probably the best riding and seaworthy of those boats I listed, the Alloy Cat topped the list, keeping it in one piece was the problem. With some modifications (design mods) the Rebel Cat was a sensational boat, especially if you were game enough to “give it some…..” all the tinnies are just tinnies, most serve the purpose, the Stacer is well fitted out (roughly built) and with the 50 tiller steer it gets along OK. Always loved Sharkcats, great boats, pretty poorly built (like Seafarers) but super stable, soft ride, easy to launch and retrieve, lots of room…..

All boats are a compromise, you have to decide what you want, then sort out the must haves from the would be nice list, being honest with yourself.

Edited by noelm
  • Like 2

I got my yalta craft 1600 nearly 27 years ago have rebuilt transom and floor myself on my 4th trailer the one its on now is the only new one and have replaced both original 40tohatsu with 1 new and 1 used which i had to have rebuilt last year boat probably has cost about $25000 all up including electrical updates

1 hour ago, Bryant fish said:

I got my yalta craft 1600 nearly 27 years ago have rebuilt transom and floor myself on my 4th trailer the one its on now is the only new one and have replaced both original 40tohatsu with 1 new and 1 used which i had to have rebuilt last year boat probably has cost about $25000 all up including electrical updates

You should have bought a Aluminium trailer from me 27 years ago and you would still be using the original trailer.

I bought my Savage Lancer in 1984 and still have it, put new ETec on it 2005 and have replaced trailer once.

Frank

guys great reading and both frank and noel thanks for the list..bryant i did have a yalta 1600 for i reckon for 18 years .i bought it for 5 and sold it for 6k i think i did 3 trailers. a suzuki 2 stroke  banga and a 4 stroke merc .i reckon with the trailers and motor and all of the addons i reckon i spent  easy 20k over the years but she always got me home and i took her to the top of aus and down as far as portland in victoria now i have carribeen offshore and i reckon it will out last me cheers dunc333