Ways to make boating easier

riveRecon

I'm getting older and things don't seemed to be as easy as they used to be, that includes hooking up my boat and getting out on the water. It got me thinking, how do people adapt to getting older, maybe a disability, not feeling well, etc so they can still get out there and enjoy the water? It could be fishing, cruising, exploring, water sports and all the other reasons it's fun to get in a boat. I'm looking for ideas to make the experience easier. I personally love exploring, camping on my boat, and accidental fishing along the way. I feel it's time for some boat and trailer mods! :) Thanks in advance for any suggestions you have :) . I'll also keep this post updated with the mods I do.

• Like 1

Having a little boat you can handle yourself. This might be in addition to an outside boat. I don't always feel up to outside fishing (allergies, working all week), but I'm usually up for a trip in the little boat. Less work, back in good time. 

• Like 1

if your boats not a drive on trailer set up buy a electric winch which alot of my mates have done to make retreive easier.what sought of set up[ do you have? then you will get better advice i would think cheers dunc333

• Like 1

Lots of things can make life easier, the size of the boat is part of it, but not the biggest factor. First off, moving the car to the boat, or the boat to the car? With a reversing camera, and a gizmo to guide the trailer onto the ball exactly can be a big help. An electric trailer mover can be a big bonus if your driveway is concrete. Launching can be easy, depending on the ramp, if you have a jetty beside the ramp, it’s easy, just turn the bow rope to “something” further down the jetty, and push the boat off (if the rollers work) or skid it off, then tie it up properly while you (or a helper) park the car. Retrieving is a breeze if you have a drive in trailer, and even easier with someone who can reverse the trailer for you. Fishing is simple if you’re a “drifter” if you anchor, then an anchor retriever ball is a great asset, right up to an anchor winch for no effort at all. It all depends on your individual setup and what sort of boating you do.

• Like 1

I'm 77 and have a 5.6m Quinnie Classic that I have no problems launching and retrieveing by myself.  The best mods I have made is to fit a Boat Catch to help driving on and change the roller axles on the trailer.  I bought a short length of stainless steel rod the same diameter as the axles, cut them to length and drilled the hples for split pins.  Yòu wont believe how much easier the boat goes on and off the trailer.  PM me if any questions.   Ron 

• Like 1

Thanks so much for the advice so far! My boat can drive on and off the trailer but the ramps I go to don’t allow it and there are no jetties beside the ramp which is a real pain. My boat is in my profile, 7.2m big tinnie. The boat is easy to handle. The trolling motor up front is what I use most of the time to “anchor” in deep water. Although I am eyeing those automatic deploy models. The electric winch is a definite upgrade, just trying to think of the right one. I saw a guy once with a vertical capstan winch up on the bow, he didn’t even need to get out of the boat, he just used the capstan to pull himself and boat onto the trailer. I can’t find any info though on how to or what power strength to setup. I’m thinking internally I’m going to need at least some more grab handles and such. I have a hydraulic assist on the tiller which makes that a breeze to handle. Getting in and out over the bow is tuff with no jetties though. Maybe I need an easy way to reverse up to the shore to get in and out. I’m thinking through some non skid stepping points too. Using ladders is starting to worry me, so thinking I should avoid those and think of other ways to get in and out. 

Hi like Camper I am 77 years old and I have major health problems I can't walk to my letter box without a 10 minute break to get my breath back.

My fishing boating days are all but gone . I have 3 boats all set up for drive on/off and set out with all the gadgets but it doesn't help when you can't walk to the boat to use it.

My solution is GET A MATE that's the only way I can get on the water these days and the mate must be understanding about the health restrictions and be tolerant of my slowness to  

get from one place to another.

I am fine once in the boat and I now have an electric reel so I can fish 30 meters or deeper.

If you must fish solo do all the things that Noel suggests + more.

Frank

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

sorry rivercon i didnt look at your profile .if it was me my 1st address would be getting in and out of boat at the ramp.maybe one of those hook ladders that hook over the gunnel and once finished you just lift them off and store .if you google boat gunnel ladders theres heaps of different soughts out there

Edited by dunc333
  • Like 1

On 3/16/2024 at 9:14 AM, frankS said:

Hi like Camper I am 77 years old and I have major health problems I can't walk to my letter box without a 10 minute break to get my breath back.

My fishing boating days are all but gone . I have 3 boats all set up for drive on/off and set out with all the gadgets but it doesn't help when you can't walk to the boat to use it.

My solution is GET A MATE that's the only way I can get on the water these days and the mate must be understanding about the health restrictions and be tolerant of my slowness to  

get from one place to another.

I am fine once in the boat and I now have an electric reel so I can fish 30 meters or deeper.

If you must fish solo do all the things that Noel suggests + more.

Frank

Thanks Frank 😊, it’s great you’ve found some buddies and made it a little easier to get out there. Love the electric reel idea! I’ve made some attempts at finding a boating mate up here, but no success. Maybe I’m not good looking enough 🤣 . Anyone interested in being a boating buddy in Noosa? Applications are now open and interviews commencing at the local coffee shop 😀. I follow non-discrimination practices and am an equal opportunity buddy. Apply in posts below!

• Haha 4