Rockhopping in northern beachs

So this morning, i left house at 4:30 got to rocks at 5:30. Spent half a hour looking at swell on ledge since no one is there but me on a rising tide. It was popular spot and but i needed time to assess risk.

Waited till 6 before I chucked on a g-control chinese minnow knock off. First cast nothing, but on second cast I got smashed by huge 63 cm bonnie and fight was on. Very difficult to land but unlike last time I was fishing with PE 3 and not PE1.5 with 40lb leader. Manage to lift it up after several failed attempts.

Lure flew off due to not able to see part of upper portion of braid/leader damaged in previous fight. 

People started to arrive at 7am

Sun was up and I switched to slow cheap jig but hooked onto rock. 

More of the  regular fishos were starting to arrive now and were chasing drummer and perlagics. One managed to catch huge calamari on 40g jig. It was at least 1 kg

Switched to fast jig now. Lost 2 fish as I pulled hooks while I was chatting with a Pakistani guy with me. We both hooked up but fish ran into different directions and my line went over his as both our fish swam  in awkward directions and he lost lure. 

I managed to wrestle mine up 48 cm specimen of bonnie.

He managed to hook up on to two bonnies and I managed to bag a another 30cm. 

All in all not a bad day. Broke Pb of the 52cm with a 63cm and it gave a good accounting of itself despite heavy equipment 

Also I broke the curse of not catching stuff on minnows

20240323_181215.jpg

Edited by faker
  • Like 5

Posted (edited)
40 minutes ago, Mike Sydney said:

Well done @faker some nice catches there, you eating them ?

Yup, heads for soup and some fried fillet and steaks tonight 😋 

Thanks

Edited by faker
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, faker said:

Yup, heads for soup and some fried fillet and steaks tonight 😋 

Thanks

How do they taste?  I've always wanted to catch one of these...they look like a lot of fun to catch from watching videos.  

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, linewetter said:

How do they taste?  I've always wanted to catch one of these...they look like a lot of fun to catch from watching videos.  

texture after fried is like tuna-ish. you need to bleed them straight away after catching

47 cm is not much of a fight on PE3 but when it reaches past that little magical 55 CM mark then landing it can be sweaty. the 63 cm one had my gut muscle squeezed so hard that it aches and  the adrenaline of trying to bring it under control. Off the rocks, i sometimes can't let them run because either 1 they reef you or 2 they rub you against rocks close( which this one tried to do). its a tight rope i have to walk on the rocks When managing the drag and when to make call to pull it in.

20lb will catch you  the regular ones off the rocks but bigger ones can give you a run for the money and i still struggled with it. You have to change mentality when fishing off rocks.

But yes they are fun to catch especially big specimens. I was chucking 60g jigs for big ones

Edited by faker
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Yowie said:

Nice bonnies, and good sport at the larger size.

A smart idea to study the rocks and swell before fishing in the dark.

Yea I was studying as sun was rising. It's one of few places I can jig comfortably with less snags

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, lhan said:

Great catch mate! It seems you really nailed the shore jigging niche!

Thanks, iam still learning.  but a bit hesistant to do a full pendulum cast off rocks due instability of footing. I do have a Got good handle of jigging technique now. Highly recommend the gogofishing nabu YouTube channel. Taught me more so much on how to work jigs

Edited by faker
  • Like 1