Looking forward to the week ahead at Eucumbene!

XD351

Dusk at Lake Eucumbene camp ground - cold beer , warm fire and a fishing trip tomorrow-  God I have missed this - it’s been too long ! 
Mission objectives:
Can I get a trout on a spikes half pilly rig ?
Can I get one on an uncle vinnies lure or a gobblers and can I stay sober enough to even go fishing - time will tell 🤣🤣🤣

IMG_0666.thumb.jpeg.bcd1161e8cdf32e6694a5abb4561b408.jpeg

IMG_0665.thumb.jpeg.6a44168627dcd9d836db44ca296461dc.jpeg

• Like 6

Living the dream!! Even with the pelagic action along the MN coast I am sorely tempted to swap places. Don't know about the half pillie rig tho'.

Let us know how you go up the Providence Arm - I expect a nice big brown!!

• Like 1

Wish you told m you were going down. I could have lent you a downrigger and a lead core outfit with some tazzies .

Best way in my opinion to get the big ones

I won't wish you happy times as I know you will have them but good luck .

Frank

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Hoods said:

Living the dream!! Even with the pelagic action along the MN coast I am sorely tempted to swap places. Don't know about the half pillie rig tho'.

Let us know how you go up the Providence Arm - I expect a nice big brown!!

Went up there today , horrible dirty water @ 18.5c  . Trolled  all the way up and back for zip , stopped at Hughes creek for a flick and got nothing . Try the other end tomorrow as the water iS cleaner .

8 hours ago, frankS said:

Wish you told m you were going down. I could have lent you a downrigger and a lead core outfit with some tazzies .

Best way in my opinion to get the big ones

I won't wish you happy times as I know you will have them but good luck .

Frank

Yep I think we gunna have to go deep !

Posted (edited)

Well we ended up trolling various lures ( inc tas devils ) from the surface down to around 15m , cast lures , jigged lures , used bait ( worms & power bait at various depths from the surface to 30m depth ) and finally in frustration I even tried a small popper as we had a fish snatch a Santa Claus off the surface and another swipe at a bubble that was rising from the bottom - didn’t even get a follow or lose a bait . 
I don’t recall ever fishing so hard for zip! Went up the Eucumbene river which used to be river pebble bottom but for some reason it is now mostly mud which isn’t good for trout breeding. Of all the other boats we seen , I didn’t see a bent rod or hear of anything being caught , other than fly fishing I don’t know if there was anything more I could have done . 
With winter approaching I think the next trip will be north coast luderick! 
The weather was great up until midday when a stiff NW breeze hit town .IMG_0669.thumb.jpeg.9192a5f9711346b070ac0f5074536b7e.jpeg

Edited by XD351
  • Like 1

Maybe you would be better heading down to Jindabyne I have a mate down there at the moment and he tells me they are landing Browns to 3kg and Rainbows almost as big.

Frank

PS Be careful if you are driving .Mate tells me he has never seen so many police in the area in his life, they are everywhere for some reason, maybe there are some polititans fishing down that way.

Edited by frankS

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, frankS said:

Maybe you would be better heading down to Jindabyne I have a mate down there at the moment and he tells me they are landing Browns to 3kg and Rainbows almost as big.

Frank

PS Be careful if you are driving .Mate tells me he has never seen so many police in the area in his life, they are everywhere for some reason, maybe there are some polititans fishing down that way.

Back home today , only saw one cop at Cooma and they were getting coffee . 
The lady at the camp ground ( anglers reach ) said the siltation problem was from some  sort of work that is being done at a dam upstream . I originally wanted to go to wyangla but my mate talked me into Eucumbene- not complaining though , still had a good time chugging around the lake . 

Edited by XD351