Men's shed ?

frankS

Been thinking about times past when I would go to a mates place (or them to me) and share a couple of brews with them and others in their men's shed, with all sorts of weird and wonderful things hanging from the walls or even ceilings , you might find a couple of poker machines against the wall and there was always that dart board where many hours would be time spent.

Old fishing nets draped over old oars bits and pieces of boats and fishing gear scattered about the place.

Each piece a good talking point which would see the hours pass by quickly.

Your thing might not be about Fishing or boating it can be almost anything.

Who among us here has such memory's?

Who among us has such a shed?

Unfortunately those days for me are a long fading memory but I have several items that may interest those who do indeed possess such an animal.

Please share comments and show photos of their pride and joy!!! the men's shed. (pardon me ladies but that's what they are called) 

Frank

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Funny this should come up! I have a good mate who “collects” odd things. He has a hard hat from when the Snowy Hydro was built. A 6 pack of unopened Tooheys kegs, anyone who remembers them, they were sort of like a hand grenade with a wide neck to drink out of. He has every glass MacDonalds ever made. A wind up record player. All sorts of strange odds and ends that were in his garage where we would have a drink and play pool. Unfortunately he is moving house and it’s all in storage. Love odd “stuff” it gives me a real kick.

• Like 2

Sadly, there is no usable shed here. Just a space below the house and a room you can't stand in beneath the carport. Both are rust havens  Most of our old stuff is inside. I refer to it as dead people's stuff.

Edited by Steve0
  • Sad 1

My father salvaged this from the old Coroners Court and Morgue at The Rocks in Sydney before it moved to Glebe.

Pre refrigeration, bodies were displayed on this Cooling Table. He had plans to restore it and it was going to be a homework desk for us kids. Mum wouldn’t let it inside the house, so it stayed in his shed.

It passed on to me, I have since passed it on to the Powerhouse.

IMG_0800.jpeg

• Like 8

37 minutes ago, Ryder said:

My father salvaged this from the old Coroners Court and Morgue at The Rocks in Sydney before it moved to Glebe.

Pre refrigeration, bodies were displayed on this Cooling Table. He had plans to restore it and it was going to be a homework desk for us kids. Mum wouldn’t let it inside the house, so it stayed in his shed.

IMG_0800.jpeg

Alternately from donating to a museum is your local Mens shed they would restore it and it may still end up in the museum.

That's where a lot of my stuff is going to end up in my local Men's shed unless someone on here wants it.

Frank

PS would like to  see more photos of what members have laying around doing nothing.

1 hour ago, Ryder said:

IMG_0800.jpeg

😱😱😱

that’s a more appropriate emoji !!!

Good report Ryder. That table would know some stories if it were animated. Great that it should end up at the Powerhouse, hopefully they will be able to provide some ongoing interest to their public.

Cheers, bn

I haven't got a proper "Men's shed" Frank and you know what my shed is. My pottery studio with the great sign that you made me adorning the door. "BIG NEIL'S POTTERY".

Like other people's sheds, mine provides me with a wonderful range of experiences as I transform the pieces of clay into functional pottery items. But it's more than that, too. We all look forward to finishing our routine 50+ years of regular working. But you can't just stop working and do nothing. Apart from the commonality of us all going fishing, we still need to keep busy. I love my hobby and am lucky to have a "men's shed" where I can relax, dream, listen to music, and lose myself in the ambiance of the pottery making process.

Never being one to miss an opportunity to show my creations off, here are a few recent pieces.

P1020269-Copy.thumb.JPG.bc1bed5604c7a1f874e2b3ef413c28d7.JPG

P1020270-Copy.thumb.JPG.301b9843f71c113ca171b335774b5f46.JPG

P1020264-Copy.thumb.JPG.a99777956aaab61e66826cac4e459d4c.JPG

P1020261.thumb.JPG.949701fbf6fbb5f3db8cdd02f1d1c2c9.JPG

Cheers, bn

• Like 9

I have a 12m x 6m shed in the backyard that over the years has kept us all amused and well hydrated with various alcoholic beverages for hours on end and at times all day when having BBQ’s etc.

Over the years I’ve had a full size billiard table, table tennis table, air hockey table, dart board, and up until recently an indoor driving range.

All those years of fun times and great laughs I’ll never forget.

These days I only have my dart board in there and gym along with all my tools, gardening gear etc.

And I have a bed in there for my new mate that I adopted after the neighbours moved and left him behind.

I think he’s a happy little camper now.

• Like 4

Zoran. How I wish that I could keep any of my sheds that neat, a place for everything and everything in it's place, it's a credit to you.

I'll put a few photos of what my sheds look like in comparison.

Frank 

Posted (edited)

As well as Men's sheds we could include hobbies sheds in this thread.

Over the years I have had many hobbies and collections etc the last fit of hobby fever I encountered was wood turning.

I decided it might be a good past time to play with some wood that I had laying around the back yard, so I bought a cheap wood lathe and turned down a nasty looking bowl of sorts.

This led to gotta get a bigger lathe syndrome so got myself a better yet still affordable lathe , then I needed accessories chisels of all kinds  a special grinder to sharpen the chisels and a couple of chucks for the lathe, next came band saws and planers etc then I decided I needed a dust extractor for the fine wood dust it was creating. 

I set about making bowls of all kinds, heaps of ball point pens egg cups incense holders and pen and pencil holders salt and pepper shakers, all kinds of stuff, even made a couple of wood hand spools for fishing line and spools for my Seamartin reels.

Well the fever lasted about 6 months and I haven't touched the lathe now for the past 12 months or so ( for sale if anyone wants to start a new hobby, lathe with chisels chucks and all sorts of gadgets band saw, timber shaper, and dust collector the lot for $1000.) anyhow to get back to what I was saying.

Here are a few of my early works and all I took photos of.

bowls2.thumb.jpg.58d38470fc2cd63f2de9863642abbdc5.jpg

My first wood lathe $50 if anyone interested no chuck

woodshed2.thumb.jpg.1515d82f375911dd103a9d43c32fb14b.jpg

fruitbowl.thumb.jpg.fc3e6b24952528bbf622e3956d64eeb3.jpg

the reel spools original on left

woodspool2.thumb.jpg.ac258af47b6a5417cfa62afda28669cc.jpg

now original on right

woodspool3.thumb.jpg.351e2515e33118890fe6dcf84abe72ca.jpg

The spool works perfectly on the reel.

Sorry for the blurred photos.

Frank

Edited by frankS
  • Like 6

48 minutes ago, frankS said:

Zoran. How I wish that I could keep any of my sheds that neat, a place for everything and everything in it's place, it's a credit to you.

I'll put a few photos of what my sheds look like in comparison.

Frank 

Frank...sadly it doesn't look like that now ... I'm inbetween DIY jobs (painting YUK!) so it's become a painting equipment storage area, with other side projects squashed around the place.... can't wait to sort it all out .... e v e n t u a l l y !

Cheers Zoran

• Sad 1

This is my mates shed.  We built it together last year. It has a wood burning stove in there. We sit in there a couple of nights a week and build bikes or just solve the world's problems. He has about 40 bikes and I have 50.  Restoring old classic steel frame bikes back to showroom condition is a hobby we share.

Not fishing related I know, but its still a cool shed. And some fisherpeople have more than one interest, like I do.

shed1.jpg

shed2.jpg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Derny Driver said:

This is my mates shed.  We built it together last year. It has a wood burning stove in there. We sit in there a couple of nights a week and build bikes or just solve the world's problems. He has about 40 bikes and I have 50.  Restoring old classic steel frame bikes back to showroom condition is a hobby we share.

Not fishing related I know, but its still a cool shed. And some fisherpeople have more than one interest, like I do.

shed1.jpg

shed2.jpg

Now I know where to go if I need parts for a bike restoration project!

Though I don't really have time for such pursuits these days! My bike is overdue for its annual bike wash🤣

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, Derny Driver said:

shed1.jpg

shed2.jpg

Geees, a couple of those chainwheels on the bikes hanging up have got cotter pins…….nothing uses them these days. Way back in  the ”old days” the cotter only had a small flat on it, and you had to file it to fit the bottom bracket axle/shaft. These days they are just soft cheese and you whack them in with a hammer, but they bugger up in no time. That’s quite a bike workshop, I guess you spoke your own wheels and true them?

Edited by noelm

On 3/29/2024 at 1:22 PM, noelm said:

Geees, a couple of those chainwheels on the bikes hanging up have got cotter pins…….nothing uses them these days. Way back in  the ”old days” the cotter only had a small flat on it, and you had to file it to fit the bottom bracket axle/shaft. These days they are just soft cheese and you whack them in with a hammer, but they bugger up in no time. That’s quite a bike workshop, I guess you spoke your own wheels and true them?

Hey Noel

Thats only 1 shed. He has 2. The other one is the workshop.

We don't have many cotter pin bikes. I have a nice 1932 Sydney built bike called SJH ( builder was Stanley James Hillden). It has inch pitch gears and is really old and cool. Cotter pin job.

Danny builds wheels and trues them. He's an old school bike mechanic.  I just collect all the parts and watch him put it all together.  There is a whole underground retro bike collecting community who buy and sell ancient frames and old parts ... there's a big swap meet and show and shine show coming up in 2 weeks time at Randwick.

• Like 1

I recently (well kind of recently) got rid of an old “Kembla” bike that was complete, had Sturmey Archer hub gears, but the SW model, not the common AW hub, and really good, still operational centre pull brakes, and 27” Dunlop “sport” 1st grade tyres with great white sidewalls. The bike itself was kind of different, because back then, 27” was a racing type size,  speed “chain gears” and 28” was considered full size and more a commuter kind of bike, I used to work at the place in Port Kembla that built them. Note all that terminology is from the “old days” 

Edited by noelm
  • Like 1

All before my time Noel but I understand what you are talking about.

My interest is more the 80s although I have bikes from 60s 70s and 90s. That older stuff is quite difficult to find parts for.  28 and 27 inch tyres especially.  I have a 1940s Blackbird which was 3 speed Ozgear originally but was upgraded to Sturmey archer in the early 60s.

Sounds like yours was a nice old bike, quite special. 

• Like 1

I had a old B S A push bike when I was young for memory it had 3 speed gears. Was as heavy as all get out, black and had mud guards chain guard rear carry rack and lights. I later got a sports Speedwell and the weight difference was enormous.

Frank