Quick Hawkesbury report from Friday

G’day Raiders,

Went for a fish on Friday , fished ( drifting) the run out tide in the area bounded by flint and steel, Juno point and the mouth of Cowan . Biggest flathead nudged 60cm, caught on a spikes cyclops rig baited with a strip of freshwater mullet and was released. I ended up with 3 flathead to 40cm ( bait was half pilly and garfish tails on a running sinker rig )and one at 50( cyclops rig and half a garfish as bait ).  I only photographed the big one as I wasn’t in the mood to play with my phone . Also got a couple of small mulloway and a few under size flathead . There was a big school of something busting up at flint and steel , don’t know what they were but I’m certain they weren’t chopper tailor .

IMG_0703.thumb.jpeg.906b2fb40203a7cf49e81a89786539d6.jpeg

The freshwater mullet from Penrith - some caught on earth worms and a few on a sabiki jig - so I have now caught a mullet on a lure 🤣

You could have a ball fishing for them with fly gear !

IMG_0701.thumb.jpeg.0a455002f8b94c80ca3ddc436b9427e5.jpeg

IMG_0700.thumb.jpeg.a5173db52084b4732e6a4e9d03249ed2.jpeg

A mate went out today for a few flathead and a gummy shark, I think he was fishing east of flint and steel though .

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Larkin said:

Plenty of bait there for future fishing XD! 

Im about due for a bait run too. 

Yep and they only cost me a few slices of bread and a few ml of petrol . If I can find a spot where I can fish off the shore I wouldn’t need to take my boat - that would be convenient but then again if I have my boat there I can fish for bass all the way back to the ramp - oh the decisions I have to make 🤣🤣🤣

I forgot to add that I applied some scent to the sabiki jig’s little fly things and the mullet went nuts over it . The way I fished it was to clip a bubble float to the end and use it like a casting weight, this helped to keep the rug from tangling when casting and meant I could fish it horizontally. A very slow retrieve seemed to work best . You could probably tie up a multi hook dropper rig with small hooks  and use bread or worms for bait and fish it using the bubble float technique.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, XD351 said:

I forgot to add that I applied some scent to the sabiki jig’s little fly things and the mullet went nuts over it . The way I fished it was to clip a bubble float to the end and use it like a casting weight, this helped to keep the rug from tangling when casting and meant I could fish it horizontally. A very slow retrieve seemed to work best . You could probably tie up a multi hook dropper rig with small hooks  and use bread or worms for bait and fish it using the bubble float technique.

Nice tip XD

i never thought about putting attractant on the sabiki. 
going to try this when the yakkas are hard to catch

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Larkin said:

Nice tip XD

i never thought about putting attractant on the sabiki. 
going to try this when the yakkas are hard to catch

Every so often the two brain cells I have left work in unison and I come up with things like this 🤣🤣🤣

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, kantong said:

nice one mate, good sized flattie.

How good is the mullet, looks like a few salted fillets to chase some bigger fish might be on the agenda!

They’re great bait ! 
I don’t salt any bait whatsoever , I vac seal them whole and 3 in a bag for the smaller ones , the big ones are bagged singular. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, zmk1962 said:

Ahhem (he clears his throat )….

Cheers Zoran

I should have known 🤣🤣🤣🤣

Actually these are first fish I have ever caught on a sabiki- usually I just get a giant tangle and throw the damned thing away 🤣🤣🤣

• Haha 1