What to do with my 1988 Haines Signature 1550C 4.7m Cabin Boat?

Anthony01

Hi All

I have recently inherited my father's boat which started me in boating as a child. Although I'm not sure of the exact age, they were manufactured from 1986-1989 with a 100-litre fuel tank and are rated from 40-120hp. I'm currently trying to repair the trailer (U bolts rusted through so axle and some runners fallen off) so I can tow it out of garage, clean it up and inspect it properly. It has an original mercury 75hp motor on it and is generally in good condition as it has been stored in the same garage since purchase. I plan on selling it as I am not sure it is the best boat for me at the moment, but am not sure the best way to do it. I could sell as is (stuck in a garage), could spend some time and money restoring the motor, or could re-power with a new 90 or 115 but that would cost at least 15-19K. I don't want to spend money if I will not re-coup it when I sell it, but also do not want to just give the boat away because it is currently in a poor state. 

Any advice?

Fix up the trailer and put it on Gumtree or the Trading Post. You should get a few thousand for it. PS: Why does the motor need 'restoring'. It might just need a service which shouldn't be more than a few hundred dollars.

I personally would just get it out, clean it up, check boats sales adds to gauge a price, then simply advertise as is, explaining in the add the circumstances. You could spend lots of dollars and time to prepare for sale and get no more than selling “as is”. Perhaps at least attempt to start the motor to see if it still runs.

Thanks guys for the advice. I managed to jack/winch the boat off the trailer and booked it into a repair shop where the bloke seemed honest and would replace everything needed. I looked at doing the work myself, but I am not confident I will get it done to an acceptable standard, and I'm currently short on time. I'll then take it to get registered, put the boat back on, and tow it to my house. I will spend some time getting it all cleaned up and get the motor serviced (you're right slowjigger, probably doesn't need to be restored) and take it out for a run. I may even decide to keep it if the fond memories I had as a kid on the boat return.

• Like 2