Southern Qld.

Posted (edited)

Have been towing the caravan for nearly 2 weeks now. 

Stopped last week at Tamworth. Threw a lure in the creek at the back of the van park, but nothing doing. Nothing for any body else either.

A few other stops, and now at Tallebudgera Creek on the Gold Coast. Leaving tomorrow for a bit further inland.

Pumped some nippers 2 days ago for a fish yesterday morning in the river, along the sand bank. Headed to the river just before sunrise with the whiting rod only, and the water was busting up with tailor everywhere, small to larger ones. Tied on the only small metal I had with me at that time, a thousand casts like the 3 other fishos for NOTHING. One hit but no hookup, same for the others, local fishos. The fish stopped their activity a little while after sunrise. Occasionally happens with tailor, just don't bite, probably too much food in the water.

Tried the nippers and pulled up a just legal bream, kept that, and a fingermark that was released. Thought it was undersized, but later checked and it would have been legal. Lost a good sized bream that tried to swim under a pontoon, applied pressure to keep him away and the hook pulled.

Nippers still alive so used them this morning. Also rigged up a bigger rod with a bigger lure, ready for the tailor at first light. Tailor thrashing the water again, the same fishos there again for nothing. Throwing lures around the school, into the school, for one hit but the hook pulled. After sunrise the fish gone again. I did pull up a trevally about 35cm on the lure, released. One of the others called it for a Brassy Trevally, a new species for me. He pulled up a trevally about 45 on a plastic.

I gave the nippers a go, and pulled out the 2 bream, so that gives us a feed with 6 fillets.

Heading inland so probably no fishing for a little while.

Resized_20240515_071601.jpeg

Edited by mrsswordfisherman
Pic added
  • Like 11

45 minutes ago, mrsswordfisherman said:

Hmmmm thinking of doing some towing soon too. 
Where are you headed @Yowie

Send me your pic and I will add it. 

Thank you Donna.

Ivory's Rock for a few days (with van club), near Ipswich, then probably Ballandean, Texas, and a bit further west until back into NSW near Lightning Ridge then south. Away for a few more weeks.

• Like 2

Whether you catch fish or not, it’s always enjoyable travelling and trying out new spots along the way. 

sounds like the fishing’s been hit n miss, but a few bream and Trev will make a nice meal.

Good job Dave, some nice bream there.

The lengths your wife goes to avoid a fish dinner…fancy taking you as far inland as she can manage!🤣

Never heard of a brassy trevally, I would’ve mistook it for a GT.

Enjoy the rest of your trip and drive safely.

On 5/16/2024 at 7:41 AM, Larkin said:

Whether you catch fish or not, it’s always enjoyable travelling and trying out new spots along the way. 

sounds like the fishing’s been hit n miss, but a few bream and Trev will make a nice meal.

It has taken a while to reply, due to poor internet/phone reception out in hillbilly land.  😂

Released the trev, but had a feed of bream fillets, so that wassomething.

On 5/16/2024 at 9:34 AM, riveRecon said:

Good to see someone getting closer to my neighborhood 😊. If any of you want to connect in Noosa, let me know. Plenty of room on my boat.

Thanks for the offer, but now back inland near Stanthorpe. Frosty morning, ice on the grass, car, van.

On 5/16/2024 at 12:22 PM, dirvin21 said:

Supposed to fish well around Texas

May only be a short stop there.

On 5/16/2024 at 7:13 PM, Little_Flatty said:

Good job Dave, some nice bream there.

The lengths your wife goes to avoid a fish dinner…fancy taking you as far inland as she can manage!🤣

Never heard of a brassy trevally, I would’ve mistook it for a GT.

Enjoy the rest of your trip and drive safely.

First thought was a juvenile GT, then it didn't look that way, so I asked the local boys. Which ever one, I have not a GT either, so something new.

On 5/17/2024 at 9:16 AM, kantong said:

nice one mate, catching fish where ever you go!

Thank you, always try to have a fish somewhere new.

On 5/17/2024 at 12:30 PM, jenno64 said:

Hope the water up there is a bit clearer than Willy Wonka's rivers in Sydney!  Enjoy the trip Dave!

Water in Tallebudgera Creek was dirty, plenty of rain recently. Enjoyed a wine tasting at a couple of wineries yesterday, so a few bottles for the cellar when I get home.

• Like 3