Went out this morning in the boat for the first time in over a month. Had my fishing buddy and his adult daughter with me.   We decided to take advantage of the relatively slight swell and try to master my downrigger with a run along the inner side of North head. Whole squid down about 10 metres on the downrigger for kingfish and a couple of lures closer to the surface in the hope there might be some bonnnies around.  We ran all the way to outside the heads with no interest from anything but it was a learning process, so happy to accept a donut. 

We then decided to send my baits down  so found a promising looking spot on the sounder and set the Minn Kota on spot lock and tried our luck with squid strips and half pillies. We managed to bag 2 small (but still legal) snapper 2 trevally and a Sergeant Baker before the swell started to bring on sea sickness for the mates daughter. I was happy with my first keeper snapper (about 33 cm) from my boat after.

We then moved across towards Grotto Point for a bit of drifting and managed to add 4 nice flounder to the bag.  I was working a Zerek Fishtrap 78mm and managed my first flounder on a vibe so was very happy. 

The flathead seem to have gone from Hunter Bay but at least the flounder are still around.

A mixed bag for the day, but it was a fantastic to be on the water again.

fishing.jpg

• Like 20

1 hour ago, Larkin said:

Nice mix of fish Robbo!

Conditions were really nice out on the water yesterday. Enjoy the feed!

Thanks Larkin
It was certainly the best I have had for some time and witha consistent not too large swell we felt comfortable around the heads

Great result Robbo ... enjoy the feast! Been weather and land locked for a few weeks now so I needed an offshore fishing report to make my day 👍

Cheers Zoran 

17 hours ago, zmk1962 said:

Great result Robbo ... enjoy the feast! Been weather and land locked for a few weeks now so I needed an offshore fishing report to make my day 👍

Cheers Zoran 

Thanks  Zoran.  My boat is only a Quintrex Fishabout 430 and I have only been boating for a couple of years so rather cautious about taking it outside the heads

Great catches! Your catch of flounder on the vibe gives me hope. I have a few vibe lures but have not caught anything on them yet - though I do tend to switch them out as quickly as I put them on so may just need some more confidence in them. 

12 hours ago, linewetter said:

Great catches! Your catch of flounder on the vibe gives me hope. I have a few vibe lures but have not caught anything on them yet - though I do tend to switch them out as quickly as I put them on so may just need some more confidence in them. 

Thanks Linewetter.  I actually think the vibes are easier to fish than some of the SPs.  I normally use a smaller vibe but treated myself to the 78 in the hope it might attract a bigger lizard. It is probably a bit too heavy for my current rod but casts a long way so easily that I was happy using it while the others were drowning bait!

Always great to get out fishing Robbo, even better when the fish turn up. Those Flounder would be good fun on vibes and very tasty on the plate. Thanks for the report. 

bn

On 5/21/2024 at 2:29 PM, big Neil said:

Always great to get out fishing Robbo, even better when the fish turn up. Those Flounder would be good fun on vibes and very tasty on the plate. Thanks for the report. 

bn

Thanks BN