Turon river trip

G’day Raiders,

Just returned from a quick trip out to the Turon river and thought I would post a couple of photos for reference for anyone thinking of going out there . I haven’t fished this river in maybe 20 yrs and even longer since I caught a trout there . I flicked a few lures around at wallaby rocks and my mate fished with some powerbait all for nil results. We did see a few carp but no trout - not even a fingerling. On Saturday after some brekky at the causeway near razorback rd we travelled up river towards Turon gates stopping here and there to look for any signs of trout - only found carp 😭

I don’t know if it is the result of the fires in 2018 or not but what I remember as being clean gravel river bed is now a gravel bed covered in brown slime and silt . 
camping facilities are great now and Turon gates is like a glamping ground now . 
All we saw were carp which really saddened me as it was once a great trout stream . 
We did do a drive into the back of lake Lyell  on the way home , went in through link rd and found a trail down to the cox’s river upstream of the dam . Not a lot of flow but fishable if one is keen enough - I lost that keenness about 30yrs ago 🤣🤣🤣

The dam at Lyell is just spilling over so maybe some trout action is available in the cox’s river below the dam . 

IMG_0758.thumb.jpeg.dd40f26e96bee137487da1202987f912.jpegIMG_0759.thumb.jpeg.62285f97f298eaa5446c6832fbb7f56e.jpegIMG_0760.thumb.jpeg.33eb43ee1960624ada02a24c1bd73bf1.jpegIMG_0757.thumb.jpeg.a1d997d0b48afc63d501e6bc03694611.jpegIMG_0761.thumb.jpeg.c8a3ab391b6d778a879e2125d6f8692a.jpeg

IMG_0755.jpeg

• Like 9

As a kid in the 1960's I was told that the Turon was the second fastest river in NSW after the Snowy (before the Hydro). I remember seeing big trout all over the river below Hill End along the Bridle Track. Certainly has changed since then.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, rickmarlin62 said:

The turon stopped flowing at one stage just after xmas  the trout mostly died  then a flood went thru  any that were left went downstream   too warm down there

Well that would explain it ! Probably explains why there weren’t a lot of carp in there as well . Still good to get out there for a day , bought back some great memories! 

6 hours ago, Robbo from Sydney said:

As a kid in the 1960's I was told that the Turon was the second fastest river in NSW after the Snowy (before the Hydro). I remember seeing big trout all over the river below Hill End along the Bridle Track. Certainly has changed since then.

My time there was 85- 95 and I remember going there after the flood on 86 and fishing what I would call a trout fishos wonderland - everything had changed and there were trout everywhere - some big ones too !

16 hours ago, XD351 said:

My time there was 85- 95 and I remember going there after the flood on 86 and fishing what I would call a trout fishos wonderland - everything had changed and there were trout everywhere - some big ones too !

Memories are a wonderful thing - especially for fishos

• Like 1