Need suggestion on Boat Lift switch

Balkanizatx

My lake rose 6 feet, submerged my lift motor and switch in the spring. I ordered a new motor, but I need a new switch. I have a 24V solar powered system, and I would go with a momentary switch. I'm not an electrician, but can wire it up if I can find a decent replacement. Suggestions?

I did try calling the company that made my original switch (ACI), they don't make the same one anymore and want $151+ shipping for a new cam switch without the box, etc, which seems high to me. Is any switch that handles 40V+ able to work? Most of what I see is all in AC- so 600V. Will that work for a DC solar set up? Thanks in advance, we just got the lift last year, used, but worked well and need to get it working again before I can launch my pontoon boat. I'm in OH, so that is why the boat was out of the water. Things freeze up here!

I'm thinking that you might not get much help here as for the most part, most of the boating fisho's here use trailer boats.

Boat lifts are not such a common thing here unless boats are berthed at a marina.

You might be better off asking your question on one of the US based forums.

But, you never know!

Wish you luck finding some answers!

Hi there, the current rating at the voltage you are working is most important for the switch. So look for a 24vdc switch at (or ideally above) a current rating based on the current draw of the lift motors (if the drive current goes through the switch). Some switches operate a relay that connects the drive current, if that’s the case for you, you’ll need to know the current rating to drive the relay.

I find it hard and expensive looking for waterproof switches, I found it lower cost and more protective to put the right rating switch in a waterproof enclosure (properly grommet cable entries). This keeps the switch out of the sun too.
I hope that helps. 

• Like 1

need a little more info pls....

does the motor raise and lower the boat?

does the switch both raise and lower the boat?

do you have a model number for the 'lift' so we can look up the specs?

How many wires go to the motor?

how many wires go to the switch?

is there another box/container with wires going to it?

Sorry if this is confusing, but there are several circuits that can be used to drive a boat lift, similar in operation to an outboard tilt in operation but on a bigger scale.