2024 NRL Review.

james Cutler

Yep,  even a fan since early primary school, played local league for years, back in the “old days” At the risk of being assassinated……a Roosters fan forever.

• Like 1

Played as a kid in NZ, up the Wahs, though living in Belmore close on 15 years I’m begrudgingly taking the dogs on as a second team.

Always had a soft spot for them as their salary breaches in ‘02 gave the Warriors our first minor premiership 🤣

They were only over by $600K, which feels about the same amount I’ve “donated” to the Canterbury leagues club since arriving in the suburb 😁

• Haha 3

I came from VFL country (in NSW) and had no interest until I worked with a Bulldog for a while. After that, we lived in Campsie in the 80s glory days. It was impossible not to take an interest. These days, interest may wax and wane, but I always enjoy watching two good teams play a close game.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, james Cutler said:

Is anybody interested in NRL ?

Great game last night. ST. George & the Tigers.

Tigers were just outclassed. More work to do Benji.

dont need to remind me how bad the tigs were last night. it hurts 🤣

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Restyle said:

dont need to remind me how bad the tigs were last night. it hurts 🤣

The first 15 minutes they looked OK, then just crumbled.

Tigers fan since the late 70s 

I call them the wests termites now because they have developed a taste for wood . 
You can’t win games with razzle dazzle , 12 men on the field and handing over possession like they did .

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

52 minutes ago, XD351 said:

Tigers fan since the late 70s 

I call them the wests termites now because they have developed a taste for wood . 
You can’t win games with razzle dazzle , 12 men on the field and handing over possession like they did .

Atleast we win with the most players sinbinned so far this season

• Haha 1

Souths fan here.
Grew up in the Eastern Suburbs (Coogee, Maroubra, Randwick)

I was thrilled to see the Rabbitohs get back to back wins this round. 

I won our Fishraider tipping comp last year for the first time since I started it here many years ago. This year tipping has been very hard so far and the lead punter is moving around. 

IMG_3971.jpeg

IMG_3972.jpeg

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Restyle said:

Atleast we win with the most players sinbinned so far this season

Would be on track to take out the record for the most wooden spoons in a row as well . 
I don’t know how benji will turn this around as they just don’t have 40min of football in them let alone 80 min 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

A successful team is a whole range of things, starting right at the top, at board room level, if the “front office” is not operating as a solid unit, then it just filters down to the coach and the team. Good run clubs, have great leaders, good coaches don’t just tell players how to play, they need to know each players personality and how to get the best out of them, not only as players, but as people and a team, that’s why great players are not always great coaches, and also why great coaches were not always great players. Look at Bellamy, Bennett, Robinson and even way back to Jack Gibson, they took young “boys” and taught them to be “men” if you get what I mean? The Tigers are a mess as far as a club is concerned, officials sacked, coaching stuff in and out, just like the Bulldogs a couple of years ago, and it’s only now slowly getting to somewhere near “normal”. Rugby League, like all sports, to operate at the top level is not just a matter of buying good players, the Dragons are another example of poor top management, sacking coaches, getting new ones, players wanting to leave, it’s a big jigsaw that needs to be carefully assembled.

Edited by noelm
  • Like 1

The Wah's, 3 on the trot now, Penrith-Dolphins and the cowboys...

Will be interesting as they slowly get back the 9-10 injured, and whether the " stars " or premier players have had a wake up call by the reserves that the Wah's fielded over those 3 wins.....

I think Johnson, should be benched when he returns from injury, Martin is starring at no 7.........

The Tigers, It was never going to be a quick seasons fix, everyone wanted it to be, but it wont be....

• Like 2

Yeah they’ve seemed to have found their drive again on attack, though even in the slump they didn’t look awful just a lack of finish. 
can you imagine the Wahs if Mt Smart was the same sort of fortress that AAMI is for the Storm. Hard to understand why we don’t have a better home record than we do.

It should be easy to say the warriors at home are a sure thing but that’s just never really been the case, even last season we dropped some homes that we should’ve walked in. 

But very promising signs again this season, we’d be in the eight if Xavier Coates couldn’t fly 😆

• Like 2

I picked Eels in the tipping comp, thought I had it……..but, I think that game sunk Trent Barrett’s chances of getting the coaching job! The Eels lost the game themselves.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Mike Sydney said:

Yeah they’ve seemed to have found their drive again on attack, though even in the slump they didn’t look awful just a lack of finish. 
can you imagine the Wahs if Mt Smart was the same sort of fortress that AAMI is for the Storm. Hard to understand why we don’t have a better home record than we do.

It should be easy to say the warriors at home are a sure thing but that’s just never really been the case, even last season we dropped some homes that we should’ve walked in. 

But very promising signs again this season, we’d be in the eight if Xavier Coates couldn’t fly 😆

Hey Mike,

I think that apart from Penrith and Melbourne, there's about 6-8 other teams that a pretty much at the same level, week in week out and home advantage doesn't seem to come into it. It's a weird Comp this year, Souths on the bottom, the sharkies up there on top, The roosters, throwing games away, along with the panthers regularly loosing games. As far as the Wah's go, making Mt Smart a fortress, I agree, you would think that would be the case, I think there on the right path, but still have maybe a season or two to build up to any status like that.  But at least it looks promising.....  Is pretty much a season defining game this weekend against the storm, only lost by that incredible coates try last time around, So it will be a litmus test of sorts I'm picking.....

I find that I am watching more league games this year than last, maybe because it's not so clear cut...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I'm not really a big fan of League these days. I used to enjoy the game many years ago when teams would take to the field and rough each other up before settling down to show their capabilities. Can't remember the exact time when I lost the desire to watch the game's "development", but the rule changes and desire to "speed the game up" have put the attraction toward the game on the back burner. 

I have lots of mates who are still passionate about the game though. The single biggest criticism today is the refereeing. Blokes who follow numerous different teams now have one thing in common, the passionate criticism of the referees. Now RL should not be too difficult to referee as it consists of 2 lines of players 10m apart, one line with the ball, the other trying to stop them doing anything with the ball. Tackle, play the ball, pass once to the left or right, run a bit, get tackled, repeat for 5 tackles then kick the ball downfield. Fairly simple for 40 minutes, cup of tea, then repeat, but playing in the other direction.

So let me ask the learned Fishraiders these questions. Is the criticism of referees justified or is it clutching at straws because your team of unbeatables lost? Do the referees need to go to the bunker for every decision, or is it a scripted requirement to accommodate more time for ads?

Get onboard with your replies, there's a schooner of old at stake here.

bn

• Like 2