2024 NRL Review.

james Cutler

If your team loses, you always look for excuses, the referee is an easy mark, but……..as it stands, with super clear, frame by frame replays, it’s nearly always possible to pick up a tiny error, which in reality (I guess) is fair, but…….in my mind, once the ref awards a try or penalty, then that’s it, a replay can show your team was dudded, and you hiss and boo, but it goes your way, it’s great. You only have to look at footy shows, a couple of ex players watch a controversial call and they don’t agree either way, we all “see” things differently. If a try is scored and ref is unsure, then go to a video for sure. One part of the game that’s hard to take is the “obstruction” rule, an attacking player touches another player, miles away from the ball and a “no try” is called, Hussain Bolt couldn’t get to the ball to defend yet it’s ruled an obstruction.

• Like 2

There is no perfect human being. Generally, top referees are very good miss very little, but they can find their view blocked by players. What they do miss balances out in the long term. Captains get to appeal decisions until they are wrong. Some calls cannot be challenged, and a wrong decision that lets the game continue cannot be challenged. https://www.nrl.com/news/2023/02/07/2023-rule-interpretation-captains-challenge/ 

Tries are reviewed by 'the bunker'. https://www.nrl.com/news/2024/05/13/how-the-bunker-advisor-system-works/

IMO both Captains challenge and Bunker review are raising the standard of refereeing. Unfortunately, Captains challenge sometimes gets used to delay a game when a team is tiring from repeated defence. Works both ways, I guess. 

Just like any other game, decision sometimes comes down to different interpretations of a rule. Winning teams win games despite referee mistakes and interpretations.  Defence matters. Top team are able to defend following unfavourable decisions. 

NRL rules are generally fairly simple and easily interpreted. For example, AFL umpires make a lot of decisions that require interpretation. They decide whether dropping the ball counts as a mark or not; whether running out-of-bounds holding the out might be in bounds or out of bounds; travelling etc. They cop a lot of flack.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, james Cutler said:

Tigers / Titans.  18/10.  Well done Tigers.

Raiders next week - be a miracle if they win that .

• Like 2

4 hours ago, james Cutler said:

The Bunker is a problem.

Gus Gould would agree with that, but he has a history of not liking referees.

Great player with the dogs. Great motivational speaker. Great NSW Origin coach.

• Like 1

In the bunnies vs broncos game, the tackle Jordan Ricki (if you can even call it a tackle) was sin binned for, wondering how that is not too dissimilar to the one Joseph Sua'ali'i got sent-off for in Origin. As a roosters fan I may be bias, but from my perspective same sort of contact, only difference Riki made the tackle on a guy without the ball and he was standing upright while Reece Walsh was falling down. 

Would like to hear opinions on this.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Isaac Ct said:

In the bunnies vs broncos game, the tackle Jordan Ricki (if you can even call it a tackle) was sin binned for, wondering how that is not too dissimilar to the one Joseph Sua'ali'i got sent-off for in Origin. As a roosters fan I may be bias, but from my perspective same sort of contact, only difference Riki made the tackle on a guy without the ball and he was standing upright while Reece Walsh was falling down. 

Would like to hear opinions on this.

I didn't get a clear idea whether Riki led with the shoulder or the chest. If chest, "ten minutes". If shoulder, "you're off" (despite missing the sight of Sonny Bill charging into the opposition).  

• Like 2

On 6/16/2024 at 5:36 AM, big Neil said:

So let me ask the learned Fishraiders these questions. Is the criticism of referees justified or is it clutching at straws because your team of unbeatables lost? Do the referees need to go to the bunker for every decision, or is it a scripted requirement to accommodate more time for ads?

Get onboard with your replies, there's a schooner of old at stake here.

bn

I can hardly stand to watch the games these days due to the refereeing. Maybe its my imagination but I see the ref give all these 6 agains to a particular team when they are near the opponents try line, its a massive advantage and always ends up in the team with all the extra possession scoring. Penalties and 6 agains to the favoured team, the other poor buggers get tired from tackling all game. Then with 20 seconds left before half time the ref gives a penalty to the unfavoured team, which of course is useless to them as theres no time to utilise the advantage. And toward the end of the game the ref will square up the penalties by giving the team which is down 20 to nil some 6 agains, on their own goal line, on tackle 1 so that the final penalty count is not so lopsided.

You can watch any game and within the first 10 minutes tell who the favoured team is, and then it plays out. Penalties and six agains late in the tackle count, in the attacking zone to the chosen team ....and after one team is miles ahead on the scoreboard, some pathetic square up penalties which are 100 metres from the try line and on tackle 1 or 2.

State of Origin is the worst. Whats the bet NSW win this one so that we have a live decider for game 3?  $$$

Is the referee told by the NRL who is to be helped win? Are the ref's being bought by Sportsbet? Am I a conspiracy theorist ??? :)

Edited by Derny Driver
  • Sad 1

There is a a very interesting report today from Cameron Smith. It is about milking penalties & bringing the game into disrepute. One offender is the Bunker interfering. Really, the Bunker wouldn't do that.

• Haha 1

Whenever gaming concerns take control of sport or gaming capabilities (pokies, keno, bingo, horses, dogs, trots) they have to have profitability guaranteed...otherwise they go bust. There has been a massive number of gaming concerns take control of sport in the last few years and they all need to make a profit. What better way to make a profit than having predictive results. Of course, to suggest such a thing would imply that match officials co-operate to ensure these results occur. As Noel points out games are televised, and so is horse racing, so what we see is what we see. Or is it? Jockeys can impact the capability of their mount, so, most likely, players and match officials COULD impact results in their chosen sport. But do they? Most of my friends reckon that it is happening all the time. Personally, I like to give the benefit of the doubt, but that would mean that most of my friends are barking up the wrong tree.

bn

• Like 1

4 hours ago, james Cutler said:

Titans / Warriors. Desi will be happy with the Titans. Do not know what has happened to the Warriors. I thought it was their year.

Warriors were terrible, almost disgusting in fact..  Complete lack of enthusiasm, looked like they didn't want to be there.

I'm picking there will be a wee clean out for next week, When they had all the injuries and went on a 3 game winning streak, including Penrith, dolphins and cowboys, there up and coming young kids were impressive, the blokes that took the field yesterday, had a shocking attitude.

The 2 Origin players were missed of course, but with the likes of Addin, Johnson and even Tohu Harris, failing to show any leadership when things turned pair shape ( very early)  I'd be sitting them on the bench and returning to the young blokes.   Pretty disappointing to have to watch a team that simply didn't want to be there in all honesty. 

• Like 1

About as abject a humiliation as I can recall. Maybe they’ll be rewarded with more time off training again. 

That’s the season dusted. Hard to see a path back to the eight after that hiding. Last week against storm I gave them a pass as the second half they were looking great on the comeback until Martin booted out on the full leading to a storm try and two send offs….but there’s no silver lining to yesterdays result. Such a shame after last season.

• Like 2

Tigers / Raiders. 48 / 24  Top game. The young Tigers were brilliant. One Tiger copped the sin bin. When is the NRL going to wake up. Fine the players. No sin bins unless it is really nasty play. If you hit the players in the hip pocket, they will eventually wake up.