Port Hacking

Saw the weather forecast for the next week, very ordinary at best, knew there would be a small opportunity to get out, so headed out early this morning. Anchored up past Lilli Pilli.

Pillies, squid strips, salted bonnie strips used.

Pulled out the flattie on a handline quite early on, a photo taken and released. A couple of tailor soon after that on pillies. A short break, then another tailor, and 3 small jewies to about 50cm on handlines, released, also a bream about 30cm that was released. I released another tailor, and a bite off from another one. No tailor jumping, those that I hooked took baits off the bottom.

The reddie took a pillie, no fight at all until near the boat, then it kicked a few times. Into the net then the hook dropped out. It was not hooked at all, just holding onto the hook in it's mouth.

Quite a bit of colour in the water, along with a few floating branches, a canoe as well. Very little wind early, nice and sunny but cool, then the wind hit as I was cleaning the fish at home base. Better result than what I expected for this time of year.

fish.jpeg.448_files_files_files.jpg

fish.jpeg.449_files_files_files.jpg

• Like 17

1 hour ago, Little_Flatty said:

Good feed, and a chunk of a flatty as a bonus. Well done Dave.

Thanks Mike, a couple of feeds there.

• Like 1

What is your setup for your handline? It sounds like a lot of fun fishing with one and catches good fish based off your results. Been eyeing the ones at one of the big department shops, figure I’d probably have to replace the line with something lighter though - the default line looks quite thick but at $5 I can’t complain. I was thinking maybe a running sinker setup. 

Edited by linewetter

5 hours ago, jenno64 said:

Nice feed Dave and a very nice flatty! Glad you are off the water now?

Thanks Rob. The wind hit hard early arvo, strong enough to blow a dog off a chain.  🤣  Would not like to be out on the water at that time.

5 hours ago, linewetter said:

What is your setup for your handline? It sounds like a lot of fun fishing with one and catches good fish based off your results. Been eyeing the ones at one of the big department shops, figure I’d probably have to replace the line with something lighter though - the default line looks quite thick but at $5 I can’t complain. I was thinking maybe a running sinker setup. 

I use 2 x 3/0 longshank hooks ganged together to lay a strip bait along it. The red hooks are hardened steel and hard to gang together, I use Mustad bronzed hooks, more of a mild steel strength, easier to gang together, but more prone to bending on larger fish. Also rust much faster after use. The bronzed hooks are getting harder to find in shops.

I do not use a sinker, just lob the bait a bit of distance from the boat and let it sink. Obviously cannot use that set-up in a strong current. Use berly as well - pellets, a few chopped pillies, prawns shells, crab shells.

For handlines, I use 12 pound mono for fish baits, 15 pound mono for squid baits - more likely to hook jewies on the squid. You can use a small running ball sinker if you want to.

• Like 4

Nice reddy for inside Dave!
Looks like the tailor are showing up - they’ve been getting a few in Botany Bay too.

That wind yesterday was a killer - came out of nowhere. I went for a walk with the wife at Wanda, and it started blowing a gale as we were leaving. 

4 hours ago, Isaac Ct said:

Good stuff Dave, few fish about. Might just get me out this week.

Thank you, just have to beat the wind. A bit of burley to get the fish biting.

1 hour ago, Larkin said:

Nice reddy for inside Dave!
Looks like the tailor are showing up - they’ve been getting a few in Botany Bay too.

That wind yesterday was a killer - came out of nowhere. I went for a walk with the wife at Wanda, and it started blowing a gale as we were leaving. 

Happy with the reddie, the others were rather small that were biting. A few tailor about, but taking baits off the bottom, as they sometimes do in the cooler weather.

The wind did blow a bit yesterday, bad luck if you were on the water at the time.

1 hour ago, big Neil said:

Good report Dave, and particularly useful info about the handline set up. Not many reports coming in at present so yours is very welcome.

bn

Thank you b.n.

Happy to pull out a few, cool again today up here, probably similar down your way.

I have used that handline set-up since I was a teenager, about 20 years ago. 🤣 Well maybe 50 years.

• Haha 1