Circle hook advice

faker

Hi guys,

I haven't bait fished for ages and want to try building a hook collection with the following purposes. I have been relying on old gear but i would like a formalized system that would cover most of my basis

• need circle hook size for flathead/bream/trev using pilchards/prawns etc
  • need circle hook size for kings/perlagics/flathead in harbour using standard bait
  • need circle hook size for live baiting off rocks
  • Need circle hook size for most non perlagics ie bream/trev/sambo/bonito/drummer off the rocks

Edited by faker

My favorite for bream are the mustard 2/0, catches everything from small bream to 40cm bream, salmon, tailor, trevs, whiting, ECT. That's what I use off the beach. Then for kings, I'll use 4/0 to 5/0 land based. But for general purpose id stick to around 3/0 - 4/0 

7 hours ago, slothparade said:

My favorite for bream are the mustard 2/0, catches everything from small bream to 40cm bream, salmon, tailor, trevs, whiting, ECT. That's what I use off the beach. Then for kings, I'll use 4/0 to 5/0 land based. But for general purpose id stick to around 3/0 - 4/0 

Thanks

On 6/19/2024 at 10:37 AM, slothparade said:

Dunno about you but do you find the 2/0 gap a bit too large for bream?

41 minutes ago, faker said:

Dunno about you but do you find the 2/0 gap a bit too large for bream?

No, I find it perfect, we caught 20+ bream on them not long ago, granted they were all large though. Just double checked, they are the mustard demon light gauge circle hook 2/0 in a yellow, blue and white packaging. They're perfect with pippi, beach worms or even prawns. 

• Like 2