Winter lure fishing is so hard

Hi raiders,

Since my last report all my sessions in the last two weeks received donuts, even with the magic micro jigs! Apparently the combination of rain and cold calm the fish a lot than we fishos would like.

Had some time this arvo so decided to wet a line at Putney, tried a slim long 7g micro jig this time and scored two nice-sized flathead while the sun started to set. The technique is still one pitch jerk, tension fall and repeat. Also there were two spit hook afterwards, one on jig and the other on SP.

image.thumb.png.34b47603951e2548f9a34be2a9b6ca24.png

image.thumb.png.279fee18ec9b1d1945dfc7c8ee4eb571.png

Happy with the result and I finished the session shortly due to the temperature in Sydney today. If anyone could share some insights on winter fishing I would love to hear!

Tight lines,

Henry

• Like 9

2 minutes ago, Little_Flatty said:

To quote the famous @Scratchie, just keep casting!

Good time to try different things (or not, as evidenced by @DerekD choosing to persist with topwater this year).

just keep casting hahaha, I love it!

I'll try to persist on micro jigs I guess, sth unusual but I do see it's potentials in our waterways 

• Like 1

Winter is all about later starts, you don't need to be out at dawn

Slow down your retrieves, as said just keep casting winter can be really productive especially for big bream

• Like 4

11 hours ago, lhan said:

just keep casting hahaha, I love it!

I'll try to persist on micro jigs I guess, sth unusual but I do see it's potentials in our waterways 

Seems to be working for you!

This morning I was out fishing bread flies for bream and a massive school of salmon busted up! Some were coming in casting distance. They'd take a jig.

• Like 2

I have been fishing the bream tournaments in the winter and there is success to be had. I have a post coming but have been a bit lazy putting it together.

Speaking specifically on bream, once you find success on one type of lure fishing you'll find others.

As @dirvin21 has said you need to slow it down and I find you might need to fish deeper which sometimes can be a challenge land based.

• Like 3

I always have two rods. One for bait the other one for lures. Sometimes one works. Sometimes they both work. There have been days when neither work.

Thats when I walk away. Come back another day & try again.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, james Cutler said:

I always have two rods. One for bait the other one for lures. Sometimes one works. Sometimes they both work. There have been days when neither work.

Thats when I walk away. Come back another day & try again.

Really depends on what you want to achieve.

If you want to improve your skill set as a lure fisherman, then don't take the bait rod as you'll always fall back to the safety of soaking a bait.

If you go out with no other option but to learn and adapt with lure, you'll make mistakes and be frustrated but you'll learn and grow knowledge and skills.

• Like 2