Berkley Vanish

mottyman

Hi Guys

Just wondering about Berkley Vanish?? I never used it so wondering what everyone thinks of it?

I was in Big W and saw some in 6lb and was wondering what it's like to use as leader for plastics and/or hard bodies???

I use Siglon at present which I find great but the Vanish seems a lot cheaper. In Big W it was sold in 150mtr spools I think for about $18 (from memory).

Cheers

David.

I tried Vanish a few times & wasn't happy with it at all. Chucked it out in the end.

I use Yamatoyo in 4 & 6 pound for leaders & it's excellent. In the heavier leaders I found Nitlon to be pretty good. :thumbup:

Hmmmm, thanks Ken.

I've heard Nitlon was OK. I was really only looking at Vanish because it seems heaps cheaper... that might explain it's performance?

What didn't you like about it, knot strength or something else???? I use a double uni to attach the leader to the mainline and have had no problems at all with Siglon in the knot department.

Cheers

Edited by mottyman

I tried it 3 times over a 2 year period & I had knot strength problems on 2 lots & the 3rd had weak sections in it breaking well under its rating. I use the Stren knot & I have had no dramas with Yamatoyo or Nitlon.

Here's a link to the Stren Knot- worth trying it out. Stren Knot

I have been using Vanish and had no problems to date. I have used it for the last 2 years and find it to be resistant to abrasions and easy to tie knots. Have never had it fail for me in any way. I have used it as a leader on lures and when fishing baits.

Mainly used 15lb when fishing for bream and flathead.

Have also caught a few nice kingfish up to about 78cm using it as my leader and has performed fine.

Cheers

Martin

Well... there you go.

Thanks Martin. Two years without a problem is a pretty good test.... especially on Kings.

Anyone else!! :biggrin2:

Cheers

I have never used a flurocarbon leader, straight Daiwa mono (good quility, not the elcheapo spools) for me from 4lb - 20lb, then i use Penn 10X for heavier leaders.

Thanks guys,

Hi Lure, interested in your reasons for not using a fluro leader, I always thought they were better cause they were basically invisible and much harder wearing than normal mono, especially when fishing the snags or structure.

I use Penn 10x for heavier leader as well and love it :biggrin2: It also ties a very nice dropper loop on a paternosta rig...

I had a look on the ABT bream site and found a short article on what the pro's use. All but one in the article used Vanish.

Cheers,

Gday Mottyman, I tried Nitlon and Siglon and noticed no noticible improvement in my catches (bream and bass from the canoe) I also like to use surface lures and find that the fluro likes to sink, pulling lighter lures under the surface and impeding the action.

plus, mono is cheaper and comes in big spools :1prop:

Maybe they've changed the brew in the time since I have used it - who knows ? After 3 duds I won't go back to it.

Good point about fluoro sinking on surface lures too - mono is the way to go there for sure.

I also like to use surface lures and find that the fluro likes to sink, pulling lighter lures under the surface and impeding the action.

Thanks mate. I've only just started some Bassing adventures using Chugga Bugs and Basscada's so far. Also have some River2Sea surface lures and some other assorted top water lures and poppers to have a go with.

So far nothing to show for it but I'll keep at it over the weed beds on the Nepean. Also keen to get my hands on some spinner baits and Kokoda G-Vibes and have a go casting into some structure up in the gorges.... it never ends does it??? :1prop::1prop:

Fair call Ken, a few bad experiences will do that!

Thanks for the help.

Ken,

It sure does except the black was all sold out when I bought mine, I've got the green/brown one and am going back for some more soon:

post-237-1138597266_thumb.jpg

How sharp are the hooks on those things!!! They "stick" to you if you lightly touch them they're that sharp.

They look so life-like don't they!!!!!!!!!!! :1yikes::1yikes:

Cheers

Edited by mottyman

Cool, when fishing on the weekend amongst the magroves I considered giving a surface lure a go as there were heaps of insects around and some "swirls" in close to the trees.

Kicking myself now I didn't spend 10 minutes fishing the surface - next time.

Cheers,

Had no problems with Vanish (kings & jews, bream and flatties)

Dont like Nitlon, it abrasion resistance seems ordinary

If you can find it Razor flurocarbon is the $#!^ for light stuff (only availible in 6,8,10 and 12lb)

Siglon is not bad, particularily the "tough"

Duel makes a cracker leader in the heavier stuff (10kg up)

Horses for courses, there is no be all and end all, it just depends on what you are doing.

I use vanish in 4, 8, 14, PENN 10x in 20 40

No probs with the vanish, I bought the 300 m spools of vanish and they are a couple of years old now

Question, Does FC deteriorate the way Nylon does, Sunlight UV etc

Basically what Im asking is should I ditch the current lot and buy new before I start running into probs

I am led to believe that FC does deteriorate in the same way mono does, but if your not leaving it out in the sun for the day on the boat you shouldnt have any problems.

Ive got reels with 10yo mono (stuff that has been pretty much retired but gets run out for nostalgia purposes!)

and the line is not showing any signs of deterioration. My tackle maintinence is pretty good but not excessive.

I wouldnt be too concerned unless you have been leaving the stuff in the sun.

Hiya Jewel, My experience with Nitlon has been fantastic. I actually think its abrasion resistance is great; 2kg Nitlon leader held an 82cm Narra Lake flattie for me last year, and just on Monday this week 2kg held an approx 60cms plus flattie hooked deep again at Narra lake. Keeping the flatties' heads below water with a low rod helped too but a do like Nitlon. The 5kg stuff also did sterling service over the hard coral flats in Tuamotu atolls in December and that is one harsh environment; the coral rock there is razor sharp. Cheers Bombie