Port Hacking

Yowie

Headed out early this morning up past Lilli Pilli, was expecting something, however, the hoard of little reddies ate most baits. The only tailor were around the 20 to 25cm mark, and I was thinking that would be it. Pulled up a 68cm flattie just before sunrise, no photo, released, then hooked another one just after sunrise. It looked near the same size, but measured at 65cm. No photo and released. Better than nothing, but no fish to take home.

I packed up and headed outside, south of the bombie, a bit of sloppy wind chop but no wind, so no drift. Pulled up 2 blue spot flatties, but released one as it had a very deformed tail section that was curled like a snake.

I moved out into deeper water, guessing around the 150 to near 200 foot mark, and the wind started up - a short sharp chop and white horses frothing on some waves. I'm guessing up to 20 knots, certainly not in the early morning forecast. Needed a bit of line out to stay on the bottom due to the drift, however, I pulled up half a dozen more flatties, then the bite stopped in deeper water, so headed home.

fish.jpeg.450_files_files_files.jpg

• Like 16

1 hour ago, noelm said:

Good catch of Ocean Flathead for this time of the year, I find them best in Spring and Autumn, Summer seems to have too many small ones.

Happy with those pulled up Noel, considering the wind blew up. From no drift to a moderately fast drift in a few minutes. I did pull up 2 little blue spots, less than 30cm.

• Like 1

Boy would I love a feed of fresh Flatties...no such thing here where I live. Still, can't have everything, eh?

Good result Dave. One thing I notice in the inshore/ close offshore threads on Fishraider is the single thing you all agree on. The BOM gets it wrong more than right.

Enjoy, bn

10 hours ago, Larkin said:

Nice feed there Dave!

I think a lot of us got caught up in the wind this morning. It was so messy out there - BOM got it very wrong.

Thank you, will provide a couple of feeds.

The wind hit with a bang out there, stronger than forecast. Up river there was little wind in the early morning. I was bouncing around in the short sharp chop.

41 minutes ago, big Neil said:

Boy would I love a feed of fresh Flatties...no such thing here where I live. Still, can't have everything, eh?

Good result Dave. One thing I notice in the inshore/ close offshore threads on Fishraider is the single thing you all agree on. The BOM gets it wrong more than right.

Enjoy, bn

Thank you. The flatties outside have been quiet for a while, now coming back again.

The BOM makes a disclaimer in their wind and swell forecasts. "Wind may be 40% stronger than forecast." Just in case they stuff up. 😂

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Little_Flatty said:

I love how a donut for you Dave is two 60+cm duskies :) 

Shame about the weather but good you got a nice feed of ocean flathead.

I was hoping that I would pull up a few ocean flatties if I let the duskies go. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jenno64 said:

Good of you to release the duskies Dave! You certainly got yourself some nice flatty fillets from outside!

Happy with what I caught outside Rob. I pulled up a 75cm flattie a couple of weeks ago, so there might be a few cruising about in the deeper water around he Hacking.