Mixed bag south of Port Hacking

Larkin

Gday Raiders!

Decided to fish down south past Stanwell today, joined by a couple of jet ski fisho mates. With low wind and low swells forecast we were expecting a smooth ride down. 

At the ramp, ran into fellow raider Crabstar - and had a chat about the days fishing plans.

As both Crabstar and Yowie have said in their reports, the BOM got it wrong and it was very messy outside - 20knt winds and gusts made it a very wet ride.

But by 10am the wind dropped right off. A few snapper and a John Dory were caught by my mates, but I wasn’t having any luck.

Lots of leatherjackets chewing my plastics up.

I had made a wire trace rig yesterday as I was expecting a few jackets to be about. Even with the wire they managed to chew through it a couple of times.  Hooked 2 and also got a take from a Bonnie when I was winding in really fast.

By midday decided to head back up. Hit the flatty drift - and picked up half a dozen fish within an hour. 
Also knocked off my latest targeted species - the red spot whiting!

Headed out a little deeper for these as yowie suggested to avoid the micro flatties. Used a double paternoster rig with two small long shank hooks baited with prawn. 
A tiger flathead also coming on board from the deeper water.

IMG_5259.thumb.jpeg.7692b1bf444712f04b8b4337cc0b06d3.jpeg

IMG_5260.thumb.jpeg.22fe6e84b242ee19e39f2b67fb8a32b6.jpeg

IMG_5258.thumb.jpeg.c3a159a5e08dbbf2d1fafeeb5f607121.jpeg

Edited by Larkin
  • Like 9

Quality anglers always have a plan B, they also know that the BOM are wrong more than they're right. Clearly you are a quality angler because your plan B worked really well for you.

Despite the annoying Leatherjackets being maligned by most anglers, they are a quality eating fish IMO. I don't do a lot of saltwater fishing but have had some great days out ACTUALLY targeting Leatherjackets.

I enjoy reading of the collaboration between you City anglers, for your mutual benefit, seems to benefit many of you. Competent anglers know they can catch fish and also share with others.

You should have a few enjoyable feeds from that lot.

Cheers, bn

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

A nice mixed bag there Chris.

Blue spots, a tiger, jackets, good sized bonnie, and finally a couple of red spots. Slimies for bait no doubt.

The wind eventually dropped off, however, I had enough flatties, and waking up at 4.30am meant I was heading home regardless.

Hopefully the jackets stay further south, though they have not been off Bate Bay for a few years, so maybe they might turn up at some stage.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, big Neil said:

Quality anglers always have a plan B, they also know that the BOM are wrong more than they're right. Clearly you are a quality angler because your plan B worked really well for you.

Despite the annoying Leatherjackets being maligned by most anglers, they are a quality eating fish IMO. I don't do a lot of saltwater fishing but have had some great days out ACTUALLY targeting Leatherjackets.

I enjoy reading of the collaboration between you City anglers, for your mutual benefit, seems to benefit many of you. Competent anglers know they can catch fish and also share with others.

You should have a few enjoyable feeds from that lot.

Cheers, bn

Thanks Big Neil!

I agree, the humble leatherjacket is one of my favourite fish to eat - and super easy to clean. Floured and straight in the pan -  squeeze of lemon and good to go.

4 hours ago, Yowie said:

A nice mixed bag there Chris.

Blue spots, a tiger, jackets, good sized bonnie, and finally a couple of red spots. Slimies for bait no doubt.

The wind eventually dropped off, however, I had enough flatties, and waking up at 4.30am meant I was heading home regardless.

Hopefully the jackets stay further south, though they have not been off Bate Bay for a few years, so maybe they might turn up at some stage.

Thanks Dave!

Too many jackets down south. They were everywhere. At least they make a tasty meal  unlike those green puffers a few months back.

Thanks for the tips on the whiting! Felt the difference like you said. The tap tap, instead of the rattle when it’s a spikie. 

3 hours ago, Little_Flatty said:

Nice work Chris. Can’t believe jackets can chew through wire! It’s a shame because they are good on the plate like Neil says.

Thanks Mike! 
these ocean jackets have large triangular teeth like a great white lol - top and bottom teeth shear together like wire cutters. Different shape to most of the jacket species you find in the estuaries. 
Think I need to use thicker wire next time.

3 hours ago, jenno64 said:

Nice platter Chris

Sounds like the BOM forecast team won’t be getting any thank you cards from you fishos who were surprised by the mystery wind🤪

Thanks Rob!

haha - yeah nah, was one of the wettest rides I’ve dove in a while. 

2 hours ago, james Cutler said:

Top report .I don't get many leather jackets down my way. Great photos.

You can buy good wire on line. Different grades.

Thanks James!

I used a very light grade of wire trace 20lb, so I could feel the bites. It worked, but they still chewed me off. I have some heavier gauge at home to try next time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, jenno64 said:

Nice platter Chris

Sounds like the BOM forecast team won’t be getting any thank you cards from you fishos who were surprised by the mystery wind🤪

I headed out from Greenwell Point before dawn Friday, got out wide as the sun rose but the wind was horrible.  There was a pro trawler chasing kings with 5 or 6 boats running outriggers ... I just turned straight back towards shore but it was slow going and I was prepared to call it a day without even wetting a line. Found a reef in close and decided to drop a line, and next thing you know, it's calmed down. Stayed out till 1.30pm.and was able to run home at full throttle it was so good.

3 hours ago, Derny Driver said:

I headed out from Greenwell Point before dawn Friday, got out wide as the sun rose but the wind was horrible.  There was a pro trawler chasing kings with 5 or 6 boats running outriggers ... I just turned straight back towards shore but it was slow going and I was prepared to call it a day without even wetting a line. Found a reef in close and decided to drop a line, and next thing you know, it's calmed down. Stayed out till 1.30pm.and was able to run home at full throttle it was so good.

It's sometimes scary how quickly conditions can change offshore. Good when they occasionally change for the better though, and you can stay out and enjoy the opportunity.

Cheers, bn